Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed dropped to 130kbps

This is a discussion on Speed dropped to 130kbps within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone I moved to Sky in May last year and have had a pretty consistent 5mg download speed, but ...

fiver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed dropped to 130kbps

Hi everyone

I moved to Sky in May last year and have had a pretty consistent 5mg download speed, but for the last 2 days I've only been getting 130kbps (according to speedtest.net). The router says I'm getting 5000+kbps and after 4 phone calls to Sky they are only taking notice of the speeds the router is giving out, stating they've tested the line and everything is fine and the router wouldnt say that if I wasnt getting it.

I know the online tests aren't completely accurate but I know they are never that far out.

The router and PCs are exactly the same as they have been since May no changes in wires etc.

Sky have said to monitor the speed and do 3 more speed tests in the next 3 days and get back to them, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas in the meantime.

I've rebooted the router 3 times, done virus and spyware scans and none of those made a difference.

Plus I know a little bit of jargon but for the most part I'm still on the 'Dummies guide to ...', so if you have any ideas an idiots guide would be most appreciated

(To give you an idea of how slow it is, it has just taken me 5hrs to download a demo of the Adobe website )

TIA

Louise

++Edited to add

I've put Base package, but I'm not entirely sure I was supposed to be getting the See, Speak Surf, but its not available yet in this area, so I've got the 17.99 a month package

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Speed dropped to 130kbps

You are on the Connect package which is a BT refurbished package . It could be that their is a problem with this service as Sky do not have their own equipment connected at your exchange. Can you post some stats and tell us how you are connected to the telephone line, extentions master socket etc.

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to get your router statistics

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

These are the stats

The router is plugged into an extension box not the main box, but its always been there, then both PCs are wired into the router not connecting wirelessly
      Last edited by fiver; 10-03-08 at 01:33 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is something wrong with your connection and it looks like it always has been. With your attenuation you should have a connection speed of over 8000 kbps, not the 4128 you have. I would advise plugging into your Test socket and keeping it there for at least 3 days, to allow your line to retrain.

Line throttling may account for some of the speed reduction, but nothing like you are experiencing. It is more likely to be a fault in your internal wiring circuit. You can only check this by using the Test socket, unfortunately you will not see an immediate improvement, as you would with LLU.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme, I've just tried to move it using the wires but they're about 1.5m too short, so I will have to buy a wireless dongle to try your suggestion wirelessly

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

hi Fiver, any chance you could change your profile to Connect from base
      many thanks

R

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Done that now Rich

Sorry to be so thick, but I've never looked into connecting wirelessly before. Is this the right sort of adaptor?

Link

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is one of the cheaper ones, but it will probably be OK. You should be aware though that wireless will never be as good as a wired connection. A glance through the forum will give you an idea of the problems that arise. Powerline Networking is a far superior solution.

Network cables come in all lengths, RJ45 (router to PC) up to 100m and RJ11 (phone socket to router) up to about 30m. It is always a good idea to keep the cables as short as possible, so if you decide to buy, don't allow too much spare.

RJ11 Cable
      RJ45 Cable

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.