Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow internet on 2nd PC, fine on 1st ..

This is a discussion on Slow internet on 2nd PC, fine on 1st .. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a Netgear DG834GT on Sky broadband. I have everything hard wired into it, including recently the desktop PC ...

musicboy80s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maltby
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow internet on 2nd PC, fine on 1st ..

I have a Netgear DG834GT on Sky broadband. I have everything hard wired into it, including recently the desktop PC upstairs via a network cable going outside the house and back in again.

The activity light on the router is always blinking on that connection really rapidly, and the internet access is really really slow - but downloads and updates etc are mega fast !

It basically feels like a bottleneck on browsing somewhere (IE and Firefox alike) which would suggest to an amateur-ish like me that thereís a some kind of port setting thingy, but itís just weird how the downstairs pc is absolutely fine.

I have tried updating the network card drivers on the upstairs PC but that doesnít seem to help. Should I possibly try putting a different network card in Ö although the upstairs PC is a manufactured one so dunno about spare slots. It has built in wi-fi but itís rubbish and I didn't want to go wireless (wired seemed more reliable ...), or ports or summat ? Or will the unofficial firmware upgrade sort it ?

Any tips or tricks will be appreciated !

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slow internet on 2nd PC, fine on 1st ..

Run a full security scan on the problem PC, including AV anti-spyware, anti-adware and a good trojan hunter. If the LAN light is constantly flickering when you are not accessing it, something else is connecting, or attempting to connect to the internet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

musicboy80s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maltby
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply mate - Done that just now with Kaplansky (?) - absolutely zero results ! Weird. Even get a far better download speed on the one upstairs but browsing is awful !

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Kaspersky is one of the better Security Suites, although there are trojans which it will not detect. Try downloading and running TrojanHunter It is a dedicated hunter and will often find and remove things others miss. If the light is blinking rapidly when you are not using it, it is something to worry about.

Another thing you can try is TCPOptimiser this will set up your PC properly. You can also open a Command Prompt and type netstat this will show you the number of open TCP connections you have on the PC. Typing netstat /a will show all the active connections you have running. Shut down torrents and/or P2P before doing this so you get a 'clean' result. Post the result here if you are not sure of the response and someone will interpret.

If you have run a registry or system cleaner you might want to try WinsockRepair this will repair any corruptions in the Registry.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.