Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Activation Date?

This is a discussion on Activation Date? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, newbie here! Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, so apologies? Just wanted a bit of ...

pingpong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Activation Date?

Hi, newbie here! Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, so apologies? Just wanted a bit of advice about the activation date: - I have received router and also received letter stating user name from Sky and also a letter stating that my activation date will be by 21 September but to try the installation before this date as I opted for self-install and BT may have activated my line early?!?!? I installed the software and followed the instructions but the little (i) light on the router is still not lit up green. I phoned Sky and they said that activation date is due to be 21 September but to keep trying if I want before that date as BT sometimes activate early.

Question 1 I'm assuming that I don't need to keep reinstalling the software and that I just wait for the (i) to eventually light up once I'm activated?

Also after checking this very helpful forum I signed up to the BT tracker/checker and managed to see see the following info:

Order placed: 12/09/06
      Description: CHANGE (bit confused as to why it says CHANGE rather than ACTIVATE or ACTIVATION?
      We can do this: 21/09/06
      We agreed to deliver by: 21/09/06 (fingers crossed this will be the case?)

Question 2 My second question is basically if the BT checker confirms when your activation date is going to be, is this set in stone? In other words do BT generally stick to this date or would you say there is a big backlog?

Here's my history with BT and why I don't trust them at all: - I have had major problems with them and they rendered me to tears on the phone just recently as I was originally in the process of having BT broadband but they couldn't get their act together to supply me and kept me hanging on the phone for hours, there were threats of OFCOM and legal action and eventually I told them I was going elsewhere and wanted to cancel. They made it really hard for me as they completely cancelled my order instead of telling me that I needed to migrate to another supplier, so they could have just given me a MAC code. I was then on the phone back and forth between BT and Sky. Sky told me they couldn't supply me yet because BT had left a marker/tag on my line which meant I had to contact the dreaded BT wholesale team again. Finally they called me to confirm that the marker had been removed from my line and that I was free to go to another BB supplier, hence I'm now in the process with Sky. I do have my concerns about Sky's ability to deliver after reading some of the awful reviews on this site but hopefully they will stick to my activation date!

Many thanks in advance to whoever answers my questions and keep up the good help and advice. This website is a god send, I really thought I was going through this trouble on my own! What made it worse was that a friend of mine who lives round the corner got his Sky BB up and running fairly quickly and has said how fast it is!

2. Advertisement
      youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      1) No you don't basically the (i) internet light goes green and away you go.

2) Just go into the View Detail bit on the BT tracker if everything is ok it should show
      PROVIDE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN

No such thing as set in stone with either Sky or BT..........but best advice is check the BT tracker the night before activation and again on the morning it's due to be activated. It seems to be updated overnight and if its still showing we can do this on as the same date.....it may well happen.

The only way you'll know its happening is when your phone line suddenly goes dead with no dial tone and you lose your internet connection................with much luck and a half competent BT engineer about half an hour later the magic happens.

pingpong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh hi, thanks for your speedy response. I did click on "view detail" in the BT tracker but it came up with this message: -

"We weren't able to retrieve your order information. This could be a temporary system issue, please try again later."

I'm hoping it's saying this because I'm trying to check it too soon. I'll do what you say and check it tomorrow evening.

englishwhistler1 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Can anyone provide the link to check the "BT Checker"?

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here