Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed down/phone noisy

This is a discussion on Speed down/phone noisy within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, After some great help from the tech support at skt (tier 3) they've now managed to get out ...

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear D7800 (AC2600) Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Speed down/phone noisy

Hi Guys,

After some great help from the tech support at skt (tier 3) they've now managed to get out connection up to about 6-7Mbps Problem is every so often the phone line gets noisy and the speed drops to about 1.5Mbps again. If the phone line is quiet we can just reboot the router again and its beck up to speed. Now normaly our noise margin is about 12db or lower however when the lines noisy that margin goes up to 28.5db is this what's causing the speed to drop?

We had this line noise problem with out BT router and a similar thing is happening with the new Sagem one. It's as if at certain times some sort of static is building up in the wires, because sometimes i can pick the phone up and that clears it.

1. I have removed all the orange/white bell wires from the circuit

2. The filters are new as is the router

3. I've tried it with all other equipment unplugged

John

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Speed down/phone noisy

Try plugging the router into the test socket which is hidden behind the face plate of your master socket, assuming its an NTE5. This will disconnect all you extension wiring, if problem persists you have a faulty line. Probably best route would be to report to BT as intermitent noisey voice calls. Dont mention Sky broadband otherwise they wont want to know.

Thanks

Thanks Koala5, I've have tried all that before and reported a fault to BT who even confirmed there was a line fault a while ago. Then we switched to sky and all was ok for a few weeks so I assumed it was the older BT 2100 router however the problems seem to be occuring again.

Actually when I asked for the MAC code to from BT to join Sky, I told the BT rep about the problems we had experienced and they then started offering a new router and line filters as a sweetener to try and persuade us to stay with them.

I actually suspect the drop line to the house as apparently the box on the pole in the street has been checked and found to be ok, so the drop line is the only other link in the line. The issue here is that the BT engineer we're told will want 120 to enter the house to check the line from the house to the pole.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
      The issue here is that the BT engineer we're told will want 120 to enter the house to check the line from the house to the pole.

I wouldn't except that! the cable between the pole and your master socket is there responsibility, they even state that you shouldn't tamper with "there" master socket. I believe the way it works in practise is that if they find that the fault is not on there side but actually on your internal wiring then they are likely to charge 120 but if you have already tried the hidden test socket you know thats not the case.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Also bare in mind that the problem could be anywhere between you and the exchange or even in the exchange as you have you own dedicated twisted pair cable that goe's all the way back to the exchange, its a shame the fault isn't present all the time if it was it would be alot easier for them to find. The only + is that you know the problem is with BT as you had the problem before you joined Sky.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Also bare in mind that the problem could be anywhere between you and the exchange or even in the exchange as you have you own dedicated twisted pair cable that goe's all the way back to the exchange, its a shame the fault isn't present all the time if it was it would be alot easier for them to find. The only + is that you know the problem is with BT as you had the problem before you joined Sky.
      Yep, the line noise we can hear is the same as it was when BT where the BB provider, so they can't blame Sky for or their equipment for that. In fact Sky have been far more help than BT in tuning the line up so that 6Mbps is a reality for us. BT were not bothered at all when we complained of a very slow connection. Probably due to the same fault we still have now. Their 'OLD' Lines!

Thanks again for the help and advice Koala5