Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I on ADSL2+

This is a discussion on Am I on ADSL2+ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've gone live today on Sky Max. I decided to have it put on the other phone line as I ...

hutchingsp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01543
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Am I on ADSL2+

I've gone live today on Sky Max.

I decided to have it put on the other phone line as I didn't want to chance a migration going bad.

Stats from the router are:

Connection Speed
      Downstream 6240 kbps
      Upstream 768 kbps

Line Attenuation
      Downstream 42 db
      Upstream 12 db

Noise Margin
      Downstream 8 db
      Upstream 9 db

Now I'm not exactly disappointed at the sync/connection speed, but I did think I should get a little more, which seems to be born out by a response I got on adslguide:

"The average for ADSL2+ at your attenuation is more like 9Mbps, and an ADSL2+ sync wouldn't typically be a multiple of 32 as your's is. Looks to me like you're not using ADSL2+ for some reason."

Does it ring any bells with anyone? All the paperwork I've received references the Sky Max product.

TIA

2. Advertisement
      clactonradio is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clacton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

Re: Am I on ADSL2+

HI

Sorry but thats not ADSL2 speeds yet.

I would say thats around 6mb to 7mb.

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

looking at your stats posted there isnt really much point in using adsl2+ as you line is not clean enough anyway

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK thanks. I know it's not the best line out there, just wanted to be as sure as I could that what I'm getting from it is about right (the "not ADSL2+" comment on the other forum made me wonder if Sky had messed up and somehow not put me on LLU (and if that would make a difference until you hit a line capable of > 8mbps)?

JusR23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tipton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just a question is it a matter of course that you're speed gets capped during test's for sky to see if they can get a responce from the router as my router kept disconnecting and reconnecting on sunday then it finally went pop. Since then i've had a new router after sky finally admited that the router was the problem after carring out upteen tests to get a connection.
      But now i've had my router my speed has gone through the floor. I spoke to sky this morning and they say that they have not capped my speed (well they said there are no notes on my account).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sky are unlikely to put a line with your attenuation on ADSL2+, unless they make a mistake, which they sometimes do.

You seem a little confused as to what ADSL2+ is, your comment 'if Sky had messed up and somehow not put me on LLU', indicates this. The only way you can get ADSL2+ is if you are on LLU. The only alternative with Sky is Connect, which is BT's ADSLMax, your upload indicates that you are not on this.

You are correct in saying ADSL2+ could give you 8-9Mb, but this is on a perfect line, which judging by your noise margin it is not. You may be able to improve your speed by following the tips and fixes given in the Cabling and Faceplate Section of the Forum.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You seem a little confused as to what ADSL2+ is, your comment 'if Sky had messed up and somehow not put me on LLU', indicates this. The only way you can get ADSL2+ is if you are on LLU. The only alternative with Sky is Connect, which is BT's ADSLMax, your upload indicates that you are not on this.
      Thanks for clearing that up. I'd assumed it was simply anything over BT's 8mbps mark.

The wall socket isn't a BT faceplate/box, it's some brass decorative thing that the previous owners had for all the sockets in the room, either way it's a mess behind there to the point where I'm not comfortable pulling the faceplate forward enough to get a decent look at the wiring.

Presumably BT would charge to come out and install a standard faceplate/box?

I'm content enough with the speed to the point where I'm not going to risk messing and buggering things up, but of course more is always better!

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hutchingsp View Post

The wall socket isn't a BT faceplate/box, it's some brass decorative thing that the previous owners had for all the sockets in the room, either way it's a mess behind there to the point where I'm not comfortable pulling the faceplate forward enough to get a decent look at the wiring.
      Are you sure that the decorative thing is your master socket ? It could be an extension from the master. Have a look on the outside of your property and locate where the drop wire enters the house. The master is usually directly in line with the entry point. If the decorative box has been fitted to replace the master then technically you should get bt to replace it - but its not a hard task if you know what I mean

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is the master socket as it's the only socket for that line plus it's where the wire enters the property.

I take the point about it not being a hard task, but it's not one I want to try myself simply because I tried taking the front off and there's very little give in the wires - not enough that I feel comfortable to keep on pulling, plus it's a little late once I have no phone line to be needing to google wiring layouts

I did see this BT Price List which suggests at the very bottom that it's only about 30 to just have BT do the job.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Np mate - only do what you feel comfortable with. The other option would be to report the line as being intermitently noisy on voice calls, dont mention broadband, 9/10 the engineer would replace it for a master. Tho if you can get it done for 30 that seems a bargain - I've seen 120 ish quoted by others on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast