Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Really Hacked off with sky now...

This is a discussion on Really Hacked off with sky now... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; And got through to T3.... ADSL2+ won't sync and snr down goes up to some ungodly high number.... However got ...

mr-mac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Really Hacked off with sky now...

And got through to T3....

ADSL2+ won't sync and snr down goes up to some ungodly high number....

However got g.dmt at 9184kbps

She is also passing my info through to opps team to see if there is anything they can do to get adsl2+ to sync and reduce my maximum delay....

And I am not getting any tx or rx packets dropped....

May just be the way the line is bundled won't support adsl2+ but will try a filtered faceplate and make sure only the two wires are connected inside the plug.

Thanks for help guys.

John
      Last edited by mr-mac; 04-03-08 at 11:04 PM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

she's broken protocol having your line over 8Mbps on gdmt...Sky don't do that, anything above 8Mbpss goes on to adsl2+ so I hope her team leader wasn't recording that call or she's in trouble (and before people go on about why that's just Sky for you)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      she's broken protocol having your line over 8Mbps on gdmt...Sky don't do that, anything above 8Mbpss goes on to adsl2+ so I hope her team leader wasn't recording that call or she's in trouble (and before people go on about why that's just Sky for you)...
      Hope not then...

She just starting doing speed tests and first put it to 92xx which is when I got 91xx and she said that is likely now the max line would support. I asked if she could try a little faster just to see (that is when the modulation automatically switched to ADSL2+). So all I did is ask if it could be set to the speed she got it to work at and she said yes.

She also reffered it to the ops team to see if there was anything they could do to get adsl2+ working...

I didn't specifically ask for faster than 8160 on g.dmt it was the first speed she picked to test my connection. I actually said "oh it's still on g.dmt"

Anyway I can live if it went to the 8mbps just wasn't going to put up with being capped lower for no reason...

Thanks for all the help

John

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr-mac View Post
      1 week at 8160kbps before I reset router to change virtual server and no dropped packets and connection didn't drop once in that time. Does that not show noise is fine or am i missing somthing?
      Yes, it seems you are.

As has been pointed out several times, you have been heavily capped. Why? To reduce line errors. So, guess what - you have no line errors, dropped connection etc.

Why won't your connection sync on ADSL2+? Does this really need to be spelt out?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I just wonder, could it be the fact that you are using a non-Sky router have anything to do with your problems? I do know that many routers are incapable of handling ADSL2+, without a firmware upgrade, if then.

Why not go to a bit of inconvenience and plug in the Sky router and try it. From what I have read in your posts, you did not even give it a chance. You may find that is the root of your problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Yes, it seems you are.

As has been pointed out several times, you have been heavily capped. Why? To reduce line errors. So, guess what - you have no line errors, dropped connection etc.

Why won't your connection sync on ADSL2+? Does this really need to be spelt out?
      I moved router to wall socket and it's just the same....

I belive due to adsl2+ being at a higher frequency there can be problems due to the way the wires are bundled from the exchange. It won't sync at all on adsl2+ modulation at any speed.

So I really can't see what exactly what needs to be spelled out???? And as I have already said I got zero line errors or droped connections at 8160 (I look at the log and it tells me how long it's been connected and if there are any TX and RX errors of any kind) and now none at 91xx T3 confirmed they were seeing no errors. I am sorry but I am missing the point you are trying to make and why sky reduced it to 7kbps? Apparently it looks like the reduction was a mistake because the ticket was raised wrongly by T1 as a slow connection and T3, without speaking to me, reduced it assuming that I had said it was slow and slow connections are often caused by errors - when I hadn't made that complaint). Also Sky's system has that my line only supports 2.5mbps where as T3 confirmed that BT said 6.5-8 but the CSR's at sky look at the 2.5 figure on their system and take it a gospel.

If possible I am looking for some advice for anything I can do....The only two things I can think, as moving to the faceplate has not changed anything, is would a filtered face plate make any diffrence to connection quality and maybe re-wiring from the small box where line comes into house to the master socket ensuring only the 2 required wires are connected? Or is this likely not an issue.

thanks

John
      Last edited by mr-mac; 06-03-08 at 05:52 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Plug in to the Test socket, behind the Master socket, if you have one. If you don't unplug everything from your extensions, including digiboxes and see if there is any difference.

If you have hardwired extensions an ADSL faceplate will isolate them and thus improve your connection.

Have you plugged in the Sky router to see what it syncs at?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I just wonder, could it be the fact that you are using a non-Sky router have anything to do with your problems? I do know that many routers are incapable of handling ADSL2+, without a firmware upgrade, if then.

Why not go to a bit of inconvenience and plug in the Sky router and try it. From what I have read in your posts, you did not even give it a chance. You may find that is the root of your problems.
      The router does support ADSL2+ and I have the latest firmware installed. I am able to pick ADSL2+ modulation from a list of modulations in the router and there are no reports of anyone having adsl2+ issues with my router type.

I am sure it's a line issue... So it's either the BT line or the cabling on my side. I will wait for a little advice and maybe try cabling and/or face plate if they are good things to try.

John

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Plug in to the Test socket, behind the Master socket, if you have one. If you don't unplug everything from your extensions, including digiboxes and see if there is any difference.

If you have hardwired extensions an ADSL faceplate will isolate them and thus improve your connection.

Have you plugged in the Sky router to see what it syncs at?
      Nope but it won't do any good as ADSL2+ isn't enabled at SKY's end (and is having the mac change not asking for trouble).

Not got a test socket. What exactly do they do anyway? Wire is cheap so I will try changing the line from where it comes into house (very small box on wall) and the master socket.

I took router to master socket and only had it and phone plugged in when I re-phoned and spoke to T3 both on seperate filters and I tried changing the filter for spares I have.

John

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr-mac View Post
      I moved router to wall socket and it's just the same....

I belive due to adsl2+ being at a higher frequency there can be problems due to the way the wires are bundled from the exchange. It won't sync at all on adsl2+ modulation at any speed.

So I really can't see what exactly what needs to be spelled out???? And as I have already said I got zero line errors or droped connections at 8160 (I look at the log and it tells me how long it's been connected and if there are any TX and RX errors of any kind) and now none at 91xx T3 confirmed they were seeing no errors. I am sorry but I am missing the point you are trying to make and why sky reduced it to 7kbps? Apparently it looks like the reduction was a mistake because the ticket was raised wrongly by T1 as a slow connection and T3, without speaking to me, reduced it assuming that I had said it was slow and slow connections are often caused by errors - when I hadn't made that complaint). Also Sky's system has that my line only supports 2.5mbps where as T3 confirmed that BT said 6.5-8 but the CSR's at sky look at the 2.5 figure on their system and take it a gospel.

If possible I am looking for some advice for anything I can do....The only two things I can think, as moving to the faceplate has not changed anything, is would a filtered face plate make any diffrence to connection quality and maybe re-wiring from the small box where line comes into house to the master socket ensuring only the 2 required wires are connected? Or is this likely not an issue.

thanks

John
      that could very well be the issue - the little white box...they're usually RF filters which might be affecting the dsl signal so IMO id remove it completely and have the master in its place with an NTE5 socket
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast