Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

where is my mastersocket?

This is a discussion on where is my mastersocket? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You really wouldn't want to mess with BT Drop Wire!! it is not easy to terminate, or strip off the ...

john5197 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Astley Bridge
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation

You really wouldn't want to mess with BT Drop Wire!! it is not easy to terminate, or strip off the sheathing, and can be multi core, so unless you are familiar with a voltmeter leave it alone, quite a lot of premises are now and have been for quite some time been fed directly underground (viz no poles outside your house etc)and, should you damage that cable then suggest you contact Building Society for loan to pay BT..as for messing with BT owned wiring/equipment as Youavinalarrf rightly says, it is illegal, but would suggest that BT would not stick you with a fine and cut you off from their service unless you refused to pay there attendance charge, or refused admittance to your house/premises, if the problem you have caused is causing a problem on a BT Exchange they will disconnect you from the exchange until such time as the problem fault is resolved.They would probably attempt to attend your premises, do the necessary repairs, stick you with rather large bill, and if then you refuse to pay, it then becomes a matter for the BT Billing Dept, and they would after some negotiation with you, disconnect your line from making outgoing calls...

2. Advertisement
      john5197 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Astley Bridge
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question

Hi again Wheelie

I am puzzled, what are you supposed to have done, to cause BT a problem in their exchange that gets you stuck with a £55.00 bill....for repairs in a BT Exchange??

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by youravinalarrrf View Post
      Think we'd better clarify the situation regarding moving BT master socket yourself! It is in fact ILLEGAL
      Good thing no one suggested it then.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

martyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by youravinalarrrf View Post
      Think we'd better clarify the situation regarding moving BT master socket yourself! It is in fact ILLEGAL and you could be fined and have your account terminated.

Suggest you read this particularly the bit:-

You must NOT replace or move any of BT’s property; this includes but is not limited to the following;

The Drop cable – The cable that come’s from outside to the inside.
      A junction box – If it is before the BT master socket.
      Cable before the BT master socket.
      Cable after the BT master socket (if BT holds ownership).

The Master line box is the "demarcation" point between your telephone equipment, wiring and BT's Exchange Line.

The reason this is so, is that everything on your side of the master, is your problem. Everything on BT's side, including the Master line box itself, is BT's problem. It needs to stay this way!

Now if you want to something along the lines of; move the Master socket (to get rid of the crap wire between that junction box and master socket) or to relocate the Master socket to where the drop cable enters your premises, then to do this is YOUR choice, if you mess it up, then you will need BT to sort it out, IF they sort it out for you that is (keep reading).

If you successfully move your Master socket to have more “high quality user-side wiring” then good for you, but it is ILLEGAL to do this, if it is clear and obvious that you moved it yourself and BT issue’s a fine and/or terminate your line. Don’t say you weren't warned.

That was the warning… just in case you didn’t understand the ILLEGAL part.
      Sorry to be pedantic, but can I just clarify...Is it legal to REPLACE the faceplate on the master socket as all other references seem to say it is ?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Personal opinion is go for it, if you **** it up or it breaks put it back as it was and deny all knowledge

Mine arrives tomorrow and put it this way i aint going to ask BT to fit it

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Perfectly fine to replace the faceplate as that then becomes the beginning of your internal extension wiring.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Personal opinion is go for it, if you **** it up or it breaks put it back as it was and deny all knowledge
      With a comment like that, cat and pigeons spring to mind. One tiny piece of practical advice: just make sure no one rings you should you decide to, er, "investigate" behind the test socket: it'll smart!
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      i was referring to the face plate which i have ordered and is due tomorrow, further quantified by

Perfectly fine to replace the faceplate as that then becomes the beginning of your internal extension wiring.
      shouldnt be too much to change - hopefully
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 19-09-06 at 10:03 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

djcsurf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I spoke to an agent at BT this evening to ask about upgrading my old master socket to an NTE5, they quoted £64 for an engineer to do the job. I then asked if i can do the job myself, or does it need to be carried out by BT...

"If you know what you're doing, you can do it" replied the customer service agent.

That's my back covered against BT trying to screw me over

(very useful thread by the way, this forum is a god send for us battling SkyBB)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast