Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Does it get any better?!?

This is a discussion on Does it get any better?!? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm unfortunate enough to have been a Sky Broadband customer for 8 days now, & I'm wondering if I should ...

radialhead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Purton
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Does it get any better?!?

I'm unfortunate enough to have been a Sky Broadband customer for 8 days now, & I'm wondering if I should persevere, or tell them where to stick it & find an ISP who actually knows what 'customer' means. The max download speed I could get when it was first connected last Tuesday was 16Kbps. So I made the first of many calls to 'support', who said they couldn't do anything until their server problems were fixed. Several more calls over the next couple of days resulted in the same response.

Finally on Thursday I got to talk to someone with a brain, who said my line was only capable of 512k, so I'd been setup with ADSL lite (or something like that). BT's website reckoned I could get 8MB, so I pressed the point until the support droid agreed to investigate further. He then agreed it should've been ADSL Max, & that Sky's systems were wrong. He passed it over to another team to get BT to change it to Max, & said it should be done in a couple of hours. Sure enough, a few hours later, I got a text from Sky saying it had been reconfigured. Equally sure enough, it hadn't - still 16k, with the router reporting a max download & upload of 288k. So back on the phone I went, only to be told by yet another support muppet that they'd have to send a new router, which could take 5 days. After several minutes of me expressing my displeasure, he eventually scrolled far enough down through his notes to the bit about the Lite/Max problem, & said the upgrade had been requested, but wouldn't be activated until Monday. Fine, another couple of days won't make much difference.

Monday morning comes, & my router is now reporting a downstream connection speed of 8128kbps, & upstream 448kbps. 'Yippee' thinks I - until I try actually using it. Various web speed tests show I'm getting a whopping 240kbps. OK that's way better than the 16kbps I was getting before, but still abysmal. So I get back on the phone, & go through several tests with yet another support droid, only to be told that she can't open a ticket as running netstat results in more than 8 results. That comment left me genuinely speechless for a good 30 seconds. She then followed up with the 'it can take 10 days for it to stabilise' line. I asked how long my cooling off period was. '8 days' she says. As I was now on day 8, I went through to the cancellations department & requested my MAC code. They did at least say I could cancel at any time due to the problems I've had.

So my question is, are things really likely to miraculously improve in the next 48 hours, or is there something seriously screwed with my line? My actual upstream connection has been consistently faster thant he downstream all through this, which strikes me as a bit strange. Even when the downstream was 16kbps, the upstream was around 250kbps. That sounds very wrong to me.

Incidentally I've tried every combination of master socket, test socket, extension, ethernet, wireless, desktop, laptop, PDA etc & nothing makes any difference. The router stats are Attenuation: 22db downstream 4.5db upstream Noise: 6db downstream 25db upstream. It's the Connect package.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Does it get any better?!?

the connect package is a rebranded BT product, it does also "train" on you line to give you the best speed your line will support(this is a 10 day training period)

with your attenuation tou should sync at the maximun for the connect package (which i think by your post you are getting)

connection and throughput are different things, you look like you are connected at 8meg, but throughput will be down to a few things.
      Connect is throttled (capped by BT)
      once the 10 days are up, post back with some speed tests and post your router stats

(note: are you wired or wireless ?)

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

How they can have a 10 day training period and an 8 day cooling off period is beyond me

tittybiscuits is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

that situation has been brought up before with the 10 day training period but only 8 day cancellation period.

from experience, if your on connect, and after the 10 days its still playing around, the cancellation should go through ok.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When are Sky going to realize that they must give special instructions to Connect customers? Surely they must realize by now that ADSLMax requires different treatment from LLU, especially in the first 10 days. It would not be too difficult to include a letter with the bunf they send, with instructions on training the line, explaining that it can take 10 days to settle to a stable rate.

At least this time they have realized that the OP was on the wrong product without having it pointed out to them, so that is an improvement.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

radialhead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Purton
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ran some more tests this morning, & I'm now getting 6,650kbps download speeds (380kbps upload). Call me a cynic, but it's curious how things suddenly get fixed the morning after I have a whinge on skyuser. We're at the start of day 9 now, so if the training period is a fixed 10 days (which seems to be the case from what I've read), presumably it's not down to that. If it is, why would the speed be 27 times slower than the line's capable of during the training period?

Incidentally I received a new router in the post yesterday - a DG834GT. The wireless range on this is substantially better than the first one they sent (a black Netgear - don't know which model). I live in an old cottage with 18" thick stone walls, & the old router could barely cope with reaching the next room. The new one gives 'excellent' reception on the laptop through two walls.

So all in all I'm fairly happy now, but dreading the next time something goes wrong & I have to contact support. Their refusal to investigate a problem if you have more than 8 netstat rows will be firmly at the top of my Victor Meldrew 'Unbelievable!' list for quite some time!

Isitme - they didn't realise I was on the wrong product without having it pointed out to them - just the opposite. I had to tell them my line was capable of 8mb, not the 512k Sky's systems reported. It was only when I pressed this point that they agreed to check with BT, & discovered that their (Sky's) line information was wrong. I dread to think how many other people are in the same boat without even realising it...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As you were previously on the wrong product, I would think the 10 day period will restart when the correct product was put on your line. Have a look HERE for some information on ADSLMax and what you should do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.