Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed Highs & Lows

This is a discussion on Speed Highs & Lows within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm on Sky Max and so far very happy with it. However, I have noted that the download speed varies ...

spcdust is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed Highs & Lows

I'm on Sky Max and so far very happy with it. However, I have noted that the download speed varies quite a lot, ranging from 5MB - 10.5MB equivalent speeds - with an average in the 7MB - 8MB region.

Part of me reckons it's probably contention effecting the speed at different times of the day but I'm also wondering if I phone Sky wether they can do anything to squeeze a little more speed out of the line (an average of 10 MB would be great).

Here's my router stats (I'm connected to an extension and via ethernet and don't seem to be blighted by constant disconnections):

ROUTER STATS

With these stats I would hope for between 10MB-13MB, therefore what I don't understand, if the router is able to sync at 13394kbps, surely my actual download speed should be a little closer to that sync speed, even taking into account overheads. The speed tests I've conducted range from trusted FTP download, my preferred web based speed test and the BT test download file site which all report fairly close results.

Also, I'm on a MAC OSX and would love to experiment with the TCP settings, however unlike PC's there no longer seems to be a broadband optimisation program available (discounting the very specific Apple one) - any one no of one or could offer advice?

Ultimately I'm not loosing sleep over it but would be interested to see if I could improve the results and wether a call to Sky technical support may help.

Thanks in advance for any advice

spcdust
      Last edited by spcdust; 19-09-06 at 11:26 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You could phone them and ask them to turn the interleaving off

You can get more info on interleaving here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleaving
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Wheelie

By getting interleaving switched off am I likely to see an inrease in speed or will it just improve my lines latency/pings. Currently my pings are acceptable (if I recall correctly 30ms) and as I'm not online gaming not a huge issue. If it might get a little more speed then I'll give that a go but don't want to rock the apple cart to much.

spcdust

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      It does make a difference from what I have heard to both but I have also heard it can cause problems so its a chance you have be willing to take but if it does cause you any problems you can get it turned back on.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmmmm....as my noise margin is 6.9dB and stable I think turning off interleaving may not be the answer as I could make the line unstable?

spcdust

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      To be honest I have no idea as I had mine set high when I was on MAX Adsl and I assume its on with SkyBB but my starts are great and so is my speed.
      Ray

click here

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Not sure whether it is the same for Sky BB (using ADSL2+) but with the normal BT line MaxDSL package turning off Interleaving will probably result in reduced speed.

Interleaving is turned on when your line becomes unstable in attempt to acheive as high a stable speed as possible.

In summary, turning on interleaving increases stability (good) and usually increases speed (good) at the expense of increased ping times (bad).

Cheers,

Nigel

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      6.9 is not good at this time of day as it tend to drop quite a lot in the evening around 8 - 9 pm.

have a look what it is showing at 9pm and if less that about 6.3 i would do a reboot.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, those stats are from evening time, sometime between 8.00pm- 9.00pm. It's probably in the 7.3dB zone around now (I'm not at home so just using my memory)

spcdust