Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

dropped sync speed

This is a discussion on dropped sync speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, i have had sky bb for over a year now and haven't had any major problems, until now. before ...

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NowTV 40/10 & VM 200 Gamer
      Router: Netgear R7000 with XWRT-Vortex
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

dropped sync speed

hi, i have had sky bb for over a year now and haven't had any major problems, until now.

before the outage a few days ago, i used to sync up between 44xxkbps to 47xxkbps depending on the time of day that i rebooted the router. however, my router will now only sync up at 3776kbps. therefore i automatically thought that i had been capped.

so i called sky, spoke to the CS rep and went through the usual "are your microfilters plugged in? how many phones do you have?" etc. anyway, she raised my query and put me through to another department (which i forgot the name of) who i assume are teir 3.

when speaking to T3, they guy checked my line and said that it is reporting that i could only get 41xx, so he decided to do some tests. first he stated that my line was capped at 6144kbps (which is fine as this is more than i can get with my att and i have never had any disconnect issues).

so the first test he did was to cap my line at 4mb to see what the router would sync at, this did not work as the router again synced at 3776kbps.
      next he tried 3mb, hooray router synced at 30xxkbps. next at 3.5mb, hooray router synced at 34xxkbps, next 4.1mb, bad news back to 3776kbps.

the rep was confused as he said that my line is reporting that my line can support 4.1mb according to what it is reporting to him. he suggested that i leave it capped at 4.1mb for a few days to see if it goes down or if it syncs up at all and call them back with my ticket number to remove cap or report more problems.

has anyone go any ideas as to why i would have this sudden drop at all. my router stats are below.

regards

andrew

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3776 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 8.4 11.0
      Attn(dB): 57.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 18.2 12.5
      Max(Kbps): 4256 992
      Rate (Kbps): 3776 768
      G.dmt framing
      K: 119(0) 25
      R: 16 16
      S: 2 8
      D: 32 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 119 25
      M: 2 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 2.1333 8.6153
      L: 960 208
      D: 32 8
      Counters
      SF: 132383 132381
      SFErr: 1 0
      RS: 4501054 1125238
      RSCorr: 453 16
      RSUnCorr: 3 0

HEC: 1 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 20042594 0
      Data Cells: 976037 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 2 0
      SES: 2 0
      UAS: 34 0
      Total time = 38 min 19 sec
      SF = 132383
      CRC = 1
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Latest 1 day time = 38 min 19 sec
      SF = 132383
      CRC = 1
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Latest 15 minutes time = 8 min 19 sec
      SF = 29405
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 50047
      CRC = 1
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: dropped sync speed

Have you asked for your 'ping' to be reduced? You 'D' figures appear to be lower than default and I believe this can cause instability on some lines. If you are not a 'gamer', next time you are on to Sky you could ask CS to look at this, it might just help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

hi,

thanks for the reply, i am however a gamer on XBL.

also still no change, hasn't gone up or down

Thanks

well i tested my speed earlier and it is no syncing at higher that 3776kbps (it now syncs dead on 4000kbps), so i called sky to have my cap removed, eventually got through to T3 and the guy said that the max my line can handle is 4.8mb, i said fine can you please cap it at that, the rep was very rude and said no, cause i would be phoning him back within a day or two as i would be having disconnects.

i said to him before that my line was originally capped at 6.1mb and although i never got that i never had any problems what-so-ever. he still would not do anything and said that he was going to leave capped at 4mb.

i am going to ring again and speak to a different advisor and see what he says.

Thanks

update,

just spoke to T3 (customer solutions center) and they have removed the cap of my line and put it back to its original.

i was also given 3 options in which sky will contact me to check the status of my line in 7 days, there were: phone, email or text - in which the CS rep that dealt with the case will handle. i said that i didn't know that they gave you the choice and i was told that this is a new 'pilot' program that they are testing due to customers no receiving call backs.

i opted for the email. what will happen is if i have any further problems i just need to email this CS rep and she will ring me back to discuss the problem.
      if i dont email her with any faults on the 6 day she will call me to check if everything is ok, if yes, close the ticket, if no, help me reslove the probem.

i am now a happy sky broadband customer again - for now!

p.s this rep was also aware of Skyuser.co.uk!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i was also given 3 options in which sky will contact me to check the status of my line in 7 days, there were: phone, email or text - in which the CS rep that dealt with the case will handle.
      This is an enormous step forward is it works and is adopted throughout the Help service. One of the biggest annoyances is when you have to ring back and go through the whole rigmarole again with a different agent, or being left waiting on the call back in 5 days, which may or may not come.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.