Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Broadband and Outlook 2003 Network Password Prompt

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband and Outlook 2003 Network Password Prompt within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently moved from Nildram to Sky broadband. I am trying to set up Outlook 2003. I have enable POP3 ...

Anti_Claus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Sky Broadband and Outlook 2003 Network Password Prompt

I recently moved from Nildram to Sky broadband.

I am trying to set up Outlook 2003. I have enable POP3 forwarding with sky. Followed the following advice to the letter and installed service pack 3:

1. Enable POP in your Sky Email account.
      2. Open Outlook 2003.
      3. Click the Tools menu, and select E-mail Accounts...
      4. Select Add A New E-mail Account, and click Next.
      5. Choose POP3 as your server type by clicking the radio button, and click Next.
      6. Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:
      User Information:
      - Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.
      - Email Address: Enter your full Sky Email address (username@sky.com)
      Server Information:
      - Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.tools.sky.com
      - Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.tools.sky.com
      Login Information:
      - User Name: Enter your Sky Email username (including @sky.com)
      - Password: Enter your Sky Email password
      7. Click More Settings... and then click the Outgoing Server tab.
      8. Check the box next to My Outgoing Server (SMTP) Requires Authentication and select Use Same Settings As My Incoming Mail Server.
      9. Click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to This Server Requires An Encrypted Connection (SSL) under Incoming Server (POP3).
      10. Check the box next to This Server Requires An Encrypted Connection (SSL) under Outgoing Server (SMTP), and enter 465 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) box.
      11. Click OK.
      12. Click Test Account Settings... After receiving 'Congratulations! All tests completed successfully', and click Close.
      13. Click Next, and then click Finish.

However I keep getting prompted for a password (Enter Network Password)when I try the test. I use the same password that lets me onto the email at sky.com but it wonít have any of it. I have tried reinstalling outlook/using dial up etc.

If it is any help I originally showed interest in sky in Oct 07 but left it until recently to switch. They sent out paperwork with username etc in Dec with MAC request but I lost it. When I finally got round to switching they said they had reset my password and sent me it but it didnít work. I also had to phone up for my username. I am wondering if there could be another password somewhere from my original order that I donít know.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband and Outlook 2003 Network Password Prompt

can you log into the web portal with your username and password ?

and if you can have you set that up to forward mail?

(link for tutorial to set up sky if needed)
      Last edited by richone54; 02-03-08 at 02:53 AM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I would try a password reset at sky.com just to make sure all is well on the email server, if you can log into sky.com with the user name and password then it should work on the email side but sometimes this goes a bit pear shaped and the passwords go out of sync.
      Try going to sky.com, make sure you are logged out, click on the login link, when it expands the login box click on "forgotten password", follow the prompts, if it asks for the last 6 digits of your payment details as the secret question then your profile is not completed properly on sky.com and you need to speak to sky.com registration to update the profile properly.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Chers all.

I can log in on the web. It askes for my first school at the password change.

Using pop.tools.sky.com and smtp.tools.sky.com, my user name as removedtostopspam@sky.com (obviously the claus bit is in place of my real surname) and the new fangled password it still comes up with the network password prompt. It finds the servers but cannot log on.

I vaugly remember having a similar problem when i first came onto Nildram (my last ISP) but I think I had just left a space or something at the end of the user name.

This is starting to drive me nuts. My other e-mail is tiscali and for some reason I cannot configure tiscali to send mail (I believe it is not possible) so used to route all outgoing through Nildram.

Now I am completely stuffed. I have tried various combination. Using the SPA on and off etc. Still no difference. I have set sky to allow POP btw.

Just a tought tho. How come when logging into the web based mail I use a.claus as the user name but for outlook it wants a.claus@sky.com? BTW I have tried a.claus also.

Please help.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 03-03-08 at 11:23 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Sky Broadband and Outlook 2003 Network Password Prompt

I have been searching and found a tips section that says if you use www.sky.com/unlock and it rejects your password (same one I am using on the website) something is screwed up at sky's end.

I have phoned sky and again they tried to convince me again that outlook was at fault. After threatening to e-mail James (I did so when they couldn't pair my sky card to my new HD box. Debbie his assistant kindly sorted it promptly) they said they would pass it higher up to have my account reset. This however will apparently take 5 days.

Am I being fobbed off? If so Mindy is in for it

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It can take that amount of time as it has to go to the email department to be done. SPA is not used so leave that off and you need to use the full email address as it is what is required by the google email system to differntiate between other users and the users on sky accounts, they are then logged into the sky branded portal for their email.

karlchad79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"keep getting prompted for a password"

I too had the prompt problem for about a week, then I found the SKY UNLOCK PAGE and it worked a treat for me.

It has finally accepted my username and password and has never prompted me for it since.

Brin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aintree
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I did this yestrday...

As you said you need to goto the unlock page. you may need to add @sky.com after your login name.

I also forgot to enable the pop forwarding but you said you did that in the first line of your post.

When i sorted this out, it was instant. I dont think anything needs to be done at Skys end.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
      I did this yestrday...

As you said you need to goto the unlock page. you may need to add @sky.com after your login name.

I also forgot to enable the pop forwarding but you said you did that in the first line of your post.

When i sorted this out, it was instant. I dont think anything needs to be done at Skys end.
      When I use the @sky.com bit it says : These characters are not allowed: @

When I just use my normal user name and password it says: Username and password do not match which odd as they are exactly the same as I use to log in via the web page (I have tried several times in case I am somehow typing it wrong).

I have read somewhere this means my account is corrupted and requires fixing at the server end. I have passed this onto sky but Iím not holding my breath.

Brin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aintree
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Doh!

It looks like you did everyhthing I did, so I cant really help

I have found Sky's help desk seems to have several "levels" of helpers. Some dont know or dont care, and others know what they are talking about... maybe its a case of calling back until you get someone who is able to actually help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast