Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Connect but only 0.5Mb!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Connect but only 0.5Mb!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi guys After numerous days of trying to sort my broadband speed and posting stats,moving bt boxes, moving desktop upstairs ...

neiledmonds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down Sky Connect but only 0.5Mb!!!

hi guys

After numerous days of trying to sort my broadband speed and posting stats,moving bt boxes, moving desktop upstairs + downstairs, i have finally realised that i can only get 0.5Mb MAX to my house. I have been emailing sky and the told me the max speed i could achieve was 0.5! What a rip off. 17 a month for this crap speed!! They reckon its because the distance from the exchange(1.2km away) although when i do a postcode and not my phoneline check on samknows it said i could get a speed of 5mb. Seems strange that some people in my street can get 5Mb but i can only get 0.5
      Does anybody know of anything i can do to get me speeded up? Is there anything sky can do as might try ringing them.
      Thanks... Neil

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect but only 0.5Mb!!!

Hi Neil,

looking back over some of your previous posts, you seem to have a problem with your BT line, as suggested in the other thread you will need to get BT out to sort it out
      on the plus side, with your attenuation you should get much higher speeds once sorted.

(your wiring problems from your previous post indicate some bodge job, as when in the test socket you stil have dial tones on other sockets, this will be impacting your speed)

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Richone54
      Thanks for quick reply. Just a thought, when i try to do a 'dummy' sign up for bt broadband, ie on bt website, if i try to enter my landline number into there checker it also says that i can only get 0.5 max. This is the same on samknows. I probably agree with you that mt bt box is a bit of a bodge job but when they do a line check does it not do it up to the master where it enters my house? On samknows when i type in my postcode alone it says up to 5mb but when i insert my phonenumber it says 0.5mb

Thanks

what does it say on the mapping part of sam knows ?

mine came up with this:

ADSL available at ~5.5Mbps
      ADSL2+ available at ~7Mbps
      Cable services available

and my stats below:
      SNR (dB): 9.2 13.0
      Attn(dB): 40.0 27.0
      Pwr(dBm): 19.7 0.8
      Max(Kbps): 8512 1184
      Rate (Kbps): 7168 416

i am capped at 7168 as i have a noisey line (intermitant) if i sorted that out i would 8meg no problem.
      when the problem with noise comes along, i change the SNR to about 15 and sync at 5meg which keeps me connected until the line improves

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NE38 7
      ADSL available at ~5Mbps
      BT Total broadband
      TalkTalk non-LLU (8M is 15pm)
      Sky Connect (non-LLU) (8M is 17pm)
      AOL broadband (non-LLU)
      Pipex broadband
      Plusnet broadband
      Tiscali broadband
      And many more...
      ADSL2+ is not available
      Some cable services available
      Virgin Media digital TV

Not sure what the stats are, cant find them mate..lol

Thanks

its ok, i've seen your stats from the other thread, all i wanted to show you was that the checker is not 100%, it shows me as 5.5meg but even with a intermitant bad line i can get 7.1meg all on ADSL (which is the GDMT setting on sky mid and the same for connect)
      (altho when the line is not behaving i do get around 5meg which is about what they say)

all in all if you get the BT line fixed, you should see at least 5meg no problem.

to get bt to change you wiring you may have to phone them up and say you get intermitant noise on the phone line (do not say about BB, as they will fob you off because they only have to sort out the voice side of things), they should hopefully ask you to try your test socket and you can advise you have tried but you seem you seem to have 2 ? (or your other sockets still work when in the test socket)

someone may be able to suggest a better way if you wait and see later today

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Looking at your other thread, where Brian was helping you, you left off by saying you were going to get it fixed. Have you done so? It actually looks to me like your main phone line is going into a junction box outside your house, where it is split to two, with one wire going to your hall and one to the kitchen. This means that neither is the Master. It looks like one of the previous owners has done a real DIY bodge on the wiring. If you haven't got this fixed, there is no point railing at Sky or even BT for that matter. The fault is within your side of the wiring.

If you have not got it fixed I suggest you disconnect the incoming wires completely from one of the sockets. Make sure the disconnected wires are not touching, leave the other extension disconnected and try the router in the other socket. I can almost guarantee that you will see an improvement in the noise margin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Neil.
      Sorry to see that you are still having problems, but getting Openreach in to sort it is the answer.
      Iv'e have just spent this morning sorting out the phone wiring in my daughter's new home. Like you, she had very poor speeds on a line which should support about 5Mg, and also like you, removing the faceplate of the master socket left all the other sockets still connected. This is in a brand new home, so no DIY bodge here, just poor wiring.
      To cut a long story short, rewiring so that all extensions run from the master, so when the test socket is exposed it is the only socket running, fitting a filter faceplate and fitting the router close to the master, has now allowed the line to support 6.5Mg with a nice healthy noise margin.

Take no notice of what speed your line is predicted to support, it is at best a guess based on what it supports at the moment.

ianctodd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Grantham
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Neil

I am no expert, but I had the same problem. When I read my router stats the upload and download figures were at 288kbps. Sky (tier 2) confirmed that my phone line had not been configured correctly. They put in a priority request in conjunction with BT and in 48 hours things were much quicker. I am convinced this might be a problem for a lot of CONNECT subscribers. I don't know if it helps here, but I thought I would relay my experience. Hope this might help

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers 4 all the help guys. Im going to ring bt and try the intermitant noise excuse and see what they say. Will have to wait until tommorow as off out now. The first pint will make up for all the hassle im having with this. Trying to sort broadband with full time job and decorating house doesnt go well...lol
      Thanks again and will keep posted results