Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upgrades for the Netgear router or USB wireless 'dongle'

This is a discussion on Upgrades for the Netgear router or USB wireless 'dongle' within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, Are there any recommended upgrades available on the Netgear site for the Sky supplied Netgear USB wireless 'dongle' or ...

leecovuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Upgrades for the Netgear router or USB wireless 'dongle'

Hello,

Are there any recommended upgrades available on the Netgear site for the Sky supplied Netgear USB wireless 'dongle' or Netgear router ?

I don't have my parents' specific model numbers to hand, but obviously I would check that before attempting any specific recommended upgrade.
      All I can say at this stage is their current software/firmware is as supplied by Sky from roughly a year ago.

When I say 'recommended' I mean users / experts here find good results through any generic Netgear upgrades for specifically using Sky Broadband. (!)

Thanks a lot,
      Lee

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Upgrades for the Netgear router or USB wireless 'dongle'

If its the white router you may want to hold back as the firmware upgrades are being prepared for release very soon.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As previous post, I would leave the router alone.

I think I'm right in assuming that the Sky supplied USB device is a standard retail Netgear version. So if you feel technically confident, it is a good idea to update the firmware and driver for wireless adapters as the driver on the supplied CD is usually ancient. Just make sure you identify the right product and follow the instructions on the Netgear site to the letter.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      If its the white router you may want to hold back as the firmware upgrades are being prepared for release very soon.
      ROFL that made my laugh!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies;
      Yes, it's a white Netgear router.
      Do we know how any upgrade for that will work? Will it be 'automagically' received and applied over the internet?

As for the USB 'dongle', I haven't looked up any instructions yet, but does an upgrade for that mean you then have to 'tune to' the router as in a fresh installation?
      That in itself wouldn't be too bad as long as it is known that the latest upgrade (for example) doesn't totally break communications with the Sky supplied router.

Lee

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Will it be 'automagically' received and applied over the internet?
      Yes and you would do well to heed the advice given above. The new firmware will eventually be released, but at the moment it is a bit like tomorrow

Drivers for the Netgear adapter are a different proposition. You will find the latest drivers here NETGEAR Support Home Page Make sure you download the correct ones for the adapter and read the instructions for applying them. To be honest, unless the OS is Vista, there is not much point in upgrading the drivers and even then it may not be necessary. Keep in mind the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme,

I just noticed your reply having just returned from upgrading my parents' USB adaptor software. I tested it for a bit and all seemed ok. I used the latest upgrade from the WG111T page, which was the 2.1 version.

To be honest Netgear's upgrade instructions on the download page seem a bit weird;
      what it boils down to is much like any other peripheral, ie unplug it, uninstall the current software and install the new, plug it back in, then set up the adaptor again for the right network, network key for the WPA security, etc.

I noticed the driver version that windows was reporting for the adaptor in Device Manager was from 2005, so if that was correct then it was actually quite an old driver that was shipped with the CD about a year ago.
      I agree/suspect the driver upgrade probably isn't that necessary, but hopefully it at least won't do any harm ... !

I won't touch the actual router then;
      Partly because it currently seems fine, after (it appears) last week I finally stopped their connection dropping off regularly. I checked a few things including turning off UPnP in the router interface. I think that was the most significant fix.

Lee