Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What the &%@* Is going on with the email??

This is a discussion on What the &%@* Is going on with the email?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, I've just about had a gutsfull of Sky broadband since they farmed the email out to google. We ...

g0fhm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Downham Market - Non LLU
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited - migrated from Sky (dis)Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What the &%@* Is going on with the email??

Hi Guys,

I've just about had a gutsfull of Sky broadband since they farmed the email out to google.

We had only been with Sky for about a week (having come over from Orange), and I have my own incoming mail account with SpamCop, that I pay for. Chunderbird was duly setup to get mail from SpamCop, and to send via smtp.sky.com (or whatever it was back then). Suddenly one evening I get home from work, try to send an email, and get a refused SMTP connection. It would appear that the settings have now changed. Thanks a bunch for letting us know Sky!

Anyway, I duly google up the settings etc, and now find that I have to use Authenticated SMTP, which, in itself is no bad thing.

However....

Our Sky account is in the name of my good lady, so in order to send email, I have to save her Sky username & password in my email Client. Which now means that every email I send, has her sky email address tagged into the "return path" in the email headers.....

Yup, you guessed it, her inbox is getting my replies!!

I have Chunderbird set to send my email address, and my name, nothing related to Sky at all, but her name is still appearing in the "From" line of emails that I send, along with her email address, mine is getting overwritten somehow. In one reply I got earlier, the "from" read: "From Miss X - Sent on behalf of Mr Y"... this is just not on I'm afraid!!

As a result, I can send no email whatsoever to any of the Yahoogroups that I am a member of, as you guessed it, her address is showing up, and it isnt subscribed!

I've tried to find ways round this.... I've tried "add an email address"... this can be hit and miss... some mails will come through with my name on, and some dont.... either way, all replies finish up in her inbox as well as mine!

I dunno about you guys, but this is hardly acceptable... is it?

I have a Yahoo.co.uk email address that I use for general "public domain" use, and with that, I could always send mail via smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk. I have tried this recently, and on connection, got an unspecified error message... sounds like they are stamping on relaying here too. I've considered getting an account with AuthSMTP, but if Sky/Google arent allowing relaying through other SMTP servers, is there any point?

I did wang off an email to the Sjy support team about this, but all I got was a standard kinda reply along the lines of "It's the industry standard nowadays" and basically to "put up and shut up".

All I want to do, is send MY email to MY contacts, and have MY replies come to MY inbox, via MY email address (not the one that Sky want me to use), nobody elses.....

I know I'm not alone here, and that there has been a lot of talk recently about this. We're at the point of trying to get out of the Broadband contract, on grounds that we are paying for a service that they are not providing... legal advice has been taken, but in all honesty, it's going to be a massive struggle, and isnt gonna really be worth the hassle.

Does anybody else have a practical suggestion on how I can overcome this situation? I'm pretty switched on as far as IT is concerned, but I would by no means say I'm a Pro on the subject.....

Have I missed something here?

Cheers,

James

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: What the &%@* Is going on with the email??

Use our SMTP service, problems gone away

How to apply for a SkyUser SMTP account

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

g0fhm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Downham Market - Non LLU
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited - migrated from Sky (dis)Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Didnt know about that.... Application duly submitted!!

Here's to trouble free emailing ASAP!!

Thanks,

James

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

James

It will take up to 24 hours to process, but its free and it works.

PS I emailed your acknowledgement.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g0fhm View Post
      Didnt know about that.... Application duly submitted!!

Here's to trouble free emailing ASAP!!

Thanks,

James
      You can also create your own login and email address on her Sky account, you are allowed 9 extra email address's. Log in using her details on sky.com, then go to My Sky, Profile and Manage additional users. If you create an addition user with your name that will become your Sky email address and logn completely seperate from hers.