Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Completely Unable to connect ..

This is a discussion on Completely Unable to connect .. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I'm afraid this has been discussed many times - even by me on here but now I'm stuck. ...

Dumfy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanishen
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Completely Unable to connect ..

Hi All,

I'm afraid this has been discussed many times - even by me on here but now I'm stuck. I'm having to do this in work as I can't get connected at home so hope I can go home in the morning with something to try...

Same thing happened a few weeks back which resulted in me buying new filters (as recommended by Sky Tech). Now it's worse than ever - mostly can't connect, but when I do, speeds are equivalent to dial-up. Sky Tech haven't been much help - usual stuff - blame BT (line's been checked by them and is good. No work going on at the exchange at all) and BT blame Sky. How can I get through to Sky Tech Support and try something more positive other than replace filters/check cables connections/plug in master socket/blame BT?
      Frustrating as I am able to get 11meg download speed.

So in a nutshell - am hardwired and not using wireless at all.

White Netgear Router DG834t.

BT line checked.

ADSL light is lit, but mostly it flickers. Sometimes off, then orange and back to green. Still won't connect even when constant. In the past have noticed the Port #1 light and ADSL flicker rapidly when downloading. Guess this is normal?

uPnP is disabled as is wireless in Router set-up

Router re-booted umpteen times in Diagnostics (sometimes can't even connect to router)

Reset button on rear used umpteen times.

I guess you'll need more info than this like router stats (need to work out how to get those) but can't post such info as can't connect at home.

I think the router is faulty and has been for a while, but can't prove it. Can't get Sky to change it either (am within a year of sign-up incidentally). Am willing to buy a new one, but then I have to set the new router with Sky username and password. Is this easy?

Hoping for some help and many thanks in anticipation

Dumfy

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Completely Unable to connect ..

..ps...

forgot to add that due to being lucky with the D/L speed I can get, I'm on the Max package.
      Now the cynic in me is wondering if Sky have a habit of causing issues such as this at their end if they think you've been downloading too much - even if you're not capped. Over the past couple of weeks I have been using it a lot more than normal I'll admit, but have had no warning from Sky.

Just a thought..

Dumfy

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

When BT run a line check they often only check for one thing... wether or not their voice telephony system is working properly on the line. Past that they rarely care.
      What router have you got? (black or white) Also can you post your stats?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi PaulSky

Thanks for the reply.

It's the white Netgear Router I have (the DG834).

I asked the chap at BT if the line was good for both telephony AND broadband and he said no probs with either.

Unable to post stats as am doing this at work and unable to connect at home.

Just read elsewhere on the Forum about Error 300

This is what I get when using Sky Test in the Router software. Any ideas??

Thnx

Dumfy

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

error 300 is no IP address...and BT can't test the BB as it's not their hardware so they were lying to you
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers,

Why is it customers always get fobbed off and bounced between companies...?

Anyway, I realise that Error 300 is no IP address. It's the error code that comes back from the router when using the Sky Test Service from withing the routers software.

Dumfy