Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sorry if posted elsewhere but router/wireless help needed for newbie/idiot...

This is a discussion on Sorry if posted elsewhere but router/wireless help needed for newbie/idiot... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Looking at your excellent site for the answer but couldn't find a specific enough one for my limited intelligence and ...

monkeybird is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01782
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry if posted elsewhere but router/wireless help needed for newbie/idiot...

Looking at your excellent site for the answer but couldn't find a specific enough one for my limited intelligence and IT skills (think: VV basic... needing a complete walkthrough...)

Here's what happened (leaving aside the 12 days spent on phone to Sky and all the wanting to blow their heads off when the phonelines failed to work...)

1. Broadband established in old house
      2. Connected on desktop PC using ethernet cable
      3. Connected laptop wirelessly (Toshiba Portege with inbuilt wireless facility, no idea what)

all worked fine till it went off! Sky told me it was a line issue blah blah...

4. Moved house, and moved broadband account to new house, using same phoneline
      5. Could not get desktop set up for sometime so just switched on router and laptop and lo and behold, it worked fine!
      6. Finally connected desktop - broadband connection worked
      7. Switched on laptop at same time as desktop, immediate connection problems...
      8. Spent further 8 days on phone with someone in South Africa telling me, well it should be on now and me going, er, no it isn't connecting...
      9 Got through to nice northern Irish man who finally worked out something was wrong with the IP addresses and walked me throuhg correcting it...
      10. Worked fine.
      11. Switched both on again and it went down again. Desktop will connect fine as long as we change the IP address and change it back again (it comes up with a .13 at the end, we change it to .1 and back to .13, and for some reason this works!)

So how do I now get my laptop to work and I am right to assume it is something to do with a conflict set up by the laptop's connection (when I run the diagnostics on the laptop, it says - not that I have the first clue what is going on, mind... - that 'the router may not be accepting connections from this computer' or somesuch... But why does it also kick out the desktop's connection also?

I'm not sure which router model it is but it is the white one supplied by Sky...

The only other thing I can think of which changed in all this process was we set up a Skype account on the laptop - but I can't see why this might affect the connection.
      Can anyone help? Please be gentle in your answers - I genuinely know nothing...!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sorry if posted elsewhere but router/wireless help needed for newbie/idiot...

I think your last paragraph may be the clue. In setting up Skype the IP address of the laptop may have been changed to a manual one. You can check this by going to the Control Panel> Network Connections, right click the Wireless LAN icon and select properties. Highlight (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button. Check that 'Obtain an IP address automatically' is selected. If it is not select it. Do the same with your other PC and also with the ethernet LAN of the laptop. When you have done this power the router off and on so that it can find the addresses.

Note that this may knock out your Skype, so take a note of the address it has allocated, for future reference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sorry if posted elsewhere but router/wireless help needed for newbie/idiot...

Thanks - will try that. In fact I (yesterday) uninstalled Skype but guess the settings may remain...

Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK - done that. Seems to be working fine now but the settings were already as described above anyway...

Presumably if I try to use Skype again from my laptop same thing will happen?

So if I install it as per the Skype tutorial on this site, onto my ethernetted desktop, will that mean I can use it on the wireless laptop also (sorry, I know this is an idiot's question but I don't really understand wireless!) Or do I have to follow the tutorial for both?

Or summat else...? <MB doggy paddles, deeply out of depth...>

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use it on your laptop. You would have to install the program of course and allow both machine addresses in the router. To be honest I don't know if you could actually use it on 2 machines at the same time. There might be port problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.