Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Slow or about right?

This is a discussion on Slow or about right? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Brian. Prior to us getting reconnecting to BT on the 7th Feb we where with Virgin, what the BT ...

philip41 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Slow or about right?

Hi Brian.

Prior to us getting reconnecting to BT on the 7th Feb we where with Virgin, what the BT engineer did when he connected us was to take the Virgin feed and wire it up to the face plate on the master socket, strictly speaking he should not have done this(his words) but did it as a favour.

The new BT line is definitely the only line connected to the new BT socket, i performed the test my self.

As for the ring cap, if i remember rightly the Sky TV engineer wired that socket up.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Philip.
      Well if the test socket is the only one that works when the faceplate is removed, I do not see how the sky extension could effect the line when it is disconnected.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Hi Philip.
      Well if the test socket is the only one that works when the faceplate is removed, I do not see how the sky extension could effect the line when it is disconnected.
      Very strange indeed i agree, beats the hell out of me, i do have them all reconnected now though.

This all just leaves me wondering if sky have maybe capped me?

As i see it there is not a lot else i can do my end, or is there?

I am at a total loss.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It would be unusual if a Sky fitter installed a proper hardwired socket, they usually stick in a cheap trailing extension with a splitter on it. Brian might confirm this, but I don't think a slave extension should have a capacitor in it.

As to what you can do, fitting an ADSL faceplate would be your best bet. This will completely isolate the rest of the house from the ADSL connection. With this, you do not need separate filters as this is done at the source.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

As to what you can do, fitting an ADSL faceplate would be your best bet. This will completely isolate the rest of the house from the ADSL connection. With this, you do not need separate filters as this is done at the source.
      Would this be to the Sky TV or BB or maybe both please.

Do you think this could be affecting my speeds.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philip41 View Post
      engineers test socket
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4608 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25 db 7 db
      Noise Margin 21 db 9 db

Master socket
      Line Attenuation 27 db 7 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 10 db

extension
      Line Attenuation 27 db 7 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 10 db
      I just read through this whole post and it does look to me like you were heavily capped shortly after installation, probably due to errors caused by a missing filter and/or faulty wiring. The massive difference in noise margin between the test socket and master gives it away.

Your stats today show a healthier noise margin but you don't say where you were connected when these were taken. I think you are on G.DMT by the way.

Your line should support 16Mbps if you can get rid of the noise and I would start by losing that "other" master socket. Could it have been your VM master socket which BT wired into your BT line?

Once you can achieve a high noise margin with the extensions connected you can phone Sky and ask for the cap to be removed and go on to ADSL2+.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      I just read through this whole post and it does look to me like you were heavily capped shortly after installation, probably due to errors caused by a missing filter and/or faulty wiring. The massive difference in noise margin between the test socket and master gives it away.

Your stats today show a healthier noise margin but you don't say where you were connected when these were taken. I think you are on G.DMT by the way.
      The noise margin for today as it is right now Downstream18db upstream 10db, are these classed as good or bad? i take it the higher the better?

Your line should support 16Mbps if you can get rid of the noise and I would start by losing that "other" master socket. Could it have been your VM master socket which BT wired into your BT line?
      I believe it could be, the fact it was the same at the test socket could well be due to being capped maybe?

Once you can achieve a high noise margin with the extensions connected you can phone Sky and ask for the cap to be removed and go on to ADSL2+.
      Todays readings have all been taken using an extension socket at the opposite end of the house.

I am considering getting new boxes and cable and bypassing all the old VM gubbins.

Thanks

The noise margin for today as it is right now Downstream18db upstream 10db, are these classed as good or bad? i take it the higher the better?
      Yes, correct. 18db downstream is very healthy and if it remained there I am sure Sky would remove the cap and probably switch you to ADSL2+. I would still sort the cabling out first though. The VM incoming line may still be connected to that old master socket acting as an interference aerial!

If you can get the noise margin at the extension almost as high as at the test socket then your cabling should be OK and your problem sorted.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nice one, thanks for the advice and that goes to all in the thread.

I shall hopefully get the bits i need together over the next day or so, do the re wire, then call Sky and ask them to remove capping.

would one of these be a good buy
      Last edited by philip41; 25-02-08 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks

Either that or this one. I am not sure of the differences as I don't use one but I hear they are good!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast