Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ADSL v ADSL2+

This is a discussion on ADSL v ADSL2+ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When i was BT , i had 8Meg, receiving about 7.5 down the line which i why i was also ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: ADSL v ADSL2+

When i was BT, i had 8Meg, receiving about 7.5 down the line which i why i was also wondering if it could be the SKY router or the microfilters?
      If you were getting this speed with BT there is no reason why you should not have the same or better with Sky. The only way to check is to plug in to your Test socket, as has already been suggested. If you do not have a Test socket, try plugging the router into the Master socket and unplug everything else that is plugged in to the phone line.

Remember that if you have multi-room, both boxes must have filters and that the bit on the end of extensions fitted by Sky are not filters, they are simply splitters. Some are under the impression that these take the place of filters, they don't.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      andyc1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01704
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

No, i dont have a test socket, only the old style junction that BT fitted many moons ago.

As for the rest of the house, extensions were fitted using alarm cable by my father.

Is it worth re-wiring house - having BT come round & fitting master socket & re-wire? Or, having new phone line fitted by BT for only BB??

Sky TV:
      Thanks

PS. I only live 1.2KM from the exchange

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyc1978 View Post
      Is it worth re-wiring house - having BT come round & fitting master socket & re-wire? Or, having new phone line fitted by BT for only BB??
      There is no point having a new line just for BB as it will work fine on an existing voice line if wired correctly. Ideally you would be best off with an NTE5 master socket wired directly to the incoming line, then your extensions wired to the faceplate of the NTE5.

This then gives you a test socket connected only to the incoming line which eliminates your internal wiring. Are you sure you have checked that everything plugged into the line is connected through an ADSL filter?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi Andy.
      By far the simplest way out of this would be to fit a NTE5 master with a filter faceplate to isolate your internal wiring from the broadband signal. It is also the most expensive, as Openreach may not fit one for free to an otherwise serviceable line.
      Why did your father use alarm cable for the extensions?
      Is he an alarm eng? are you ?. I only ask because there may be a cheaper way out of this.

Thanks

A further point is, if you have a burglar alarm fitted, is it connected to the phone line and if so how?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Thanksfor the posts - please see answers below

1. Father is an electronics engineer & used alarm cable because he got it free from work, no other reason. LOL

2. Alarm is not fitted to the phone line

3. I have bought an NTE5 master socket & XTE-2005 faceplate for the master aswell as some LJ3 filtered face plates for extensions.

Will get the new master socket fitted & then extensions spidered from the master & disconnect the current wiring.

Hoping this will do the trick???

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right..

BT are coming on 18.03 to fit an NTE5 master socket in upstairs room in the house where my office is. They will also run 2 x new sockets directly next to the master socket & i will disconnect current configuration & fit ADSL NATION face plates onto new sockets. Lets hope this is worth 160...

Thanks guys

Thanks

There is really no point in fitting filtered sockets next to the Master socket. All you need is the ADSL faceplate on the master socket and all the other sockets are filtered. If you have the ADSL faceplate, I am sure the engineer will fit it instead of the standard faceplate, if you ask him nicely.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK Kool - thanks

Will let you know how i get on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast