Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Browser Help Please

This is a discussion on Browser Help Please within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ive literally just got sky broadband and installed it on my desktop computer. i have a v3 netgear router and ...

ozalp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Browser Help Please

ive literally just got sky broadband and installed it on my desktop computer. i have a v3 netgear router and have the desktop connected o the router by ethernet. The connection is fine and i can manage to get on to msn and browse the internet through google earth but i cannot for the life of me get firefox or internet explorer to work, both programs wont connect to the net. i have windows firewall turned off and have no other security programs running on the desktop. i dont think its anything to do with the security settings on the router because i can get internet explorer and firefox to work perfectly fine on my laptop which is connected to the router wirelessly.
      i would greatly appreciate any help.

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Browser Help Please

When you say you have Sky installed on the PC, do you mean you used the coaster to install it? If so you may have inadvertently installed McAfee. If you have, you will either have to configure it or uninstall it. Most on the forum would recommend getting rid of it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

don't have to configure it - just make sure that if a warning comes up read it and allow it if the program wanting to use the net is something you're using...same with all firewalls
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i tried using the mcaffee removal tool in safe mode to remove all of mcaffee and then tried but still same problem. actually while i was using the removal tool there was an error and it said some parts of the program couldnt be removed. i uninstalled all of sky broadband from the desktop but still same problem!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

just make sure that if a warning comes up read it and allow it
      That's what I meant

If you have a recent restore point, it may be worth try a System Restore to a point before you installed the Sky disk.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

woo! got it fixed! you guys were right in the end it turned out to be a problem with mcafee, i reckon that when my brother initially installed it all something mus have gone wrong.
      anyways for people who may have similar problems in the future what i did was try and reinstall mcafee seeing as it wouldn't let me completely uninstall it but it turned out that my brother hadn't completely removed our previous version of norton antivirus so i got the norton removal tool off of the symantec website which unlike the mcafee removal tool, removed norton completely which then allowed me to install mcafee correctly! once this was done the browsers were up and running again!

thanks to everyone for the help!