Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

VoIP with Sky/Sagem F@st 2504

This is a discussion on VoIP with Sky/Sagem F@st 2504 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support. Unfortunately we do not support Voice Over Internet Protocol, therefor I cannot ...

Ashe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: VoIP with Sky/Sagem F@st 2504

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

Unfortunately we do not support Voice Over Internet Protocol, therefor I cannot give you any support with this issue at this time.

If you need further help or information on any other issue , please reply to this email or contact us on 08705 515 515.
      Really unexpected... So there is no support from Sky. Is there anyone in this forum who can reproduce that failure? If otherwise which combination of (Sky) router/SIP client (hardware or software)/SIP provider is known working?

2. Advertisement
      MKbob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wink Re: VoIP with Sky/Sagem F@st 2504

Hi Ashe,
      I am having a problem with VOIP over sky, I am also with Sipgate I have seen quotes on other VOIP forums that people can use VOIP and Sipgate with sky but there was no indication how this worked. I have put my ATA in the DMZ so the firewall should not be a problem but it stil does not seem to work. I have a laptop with Vista and X-lite which connects ok over my "3" mobile broadband but the quality is useless. Again it cannot login via the Lan and the Sagem router.
      I am a old network professional and I spoke to a little girl on the Sky help desk she did not know what I was talking about, I asked if I could speak to a network techie but thats a No No!!
      I have tried to replace the Sky router with another from linksys but it did not connect to sky.
      I will battle on seeking the answer and will post if I succeed.
      I spent many years in Deutchesland and Holland but I will not attempt to write in german!!!!!!
      Bob

Sky TV:
      Thanks

PS It is possible to open the incoming ports on the Sagem router these are noted on Sipgates site.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have tried to replace the Sky router with another from linksys but it did not connect to sky.
      Did you get the username and password from the Sagem to put into the Linksys? Others have no problem connecting with another router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MKbob View Post
      Hi Ashe,
      I am having a problem with VOIP over sky, I am also with Sipgate I have seen quotes on other VOIP forums that people can use VOIP and Sipgate with sky but there was no indication how this worked.
      I assume that these people don't use the Sagem F@st 2504 router. Apart from that I google'd a while and couldn't find any comments that the Sagem F@st 2504 works with VoIP/SIP.

@MKbob: Could you remember where you found those information? I'd be pleased to receive some URLs for further investigaton.

I have put my ATA in the DMZ so the firewall should not be a problem but it stil does not seem to work.
      PS It is possible to open the incoming ports on the Sagem router these are noted on Sipgates site.
      As previously stated, the problem is probably caused by the SIP proxy function of the router. This function is needed in a firewall environment, because the router needs to know which ports are negotiated by the peers for the actual voice traffic (RTP). With this information the router is able to open these (random) ports in its firewall for the duration of the call. Unfortunately this information can be found only inside the SIP packets; that's why the router intercepts them.

Disabling the firewall or opening ports in the firewall only won't help, because the SIP registration process will keep failing. You need to circumvent the proxy function by using another port for SIP (as mentioned here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/asking-help/19998-installing-voip-phones.html#post127378). You need an SIP registrar listening on that port too. And last but not least you have to open a whole port range for RTP, because the router wouldn't be able to figure out anymore, which specific ports are negotiated for RTP.

There are several threads in this forum which describe how to get other devices running (this would violate the Sky T&C).

I spent many years in Deutchesland and Holland but I will not attempt to write in german!!!!!!
      That's no problem at all ;-)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Ashe,
      I have been to so many sites looking I cannot remember which ones had the info, but I have found a solution, change the encryption on the Sagem router to wep and use a wep key and it works. I have Sipgate working with Xlite on my laptop and From a DECT phone on an ATA behind the router.
      Hope it works for you
      Bob

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Ashe,
      I have been to so many sites looking I cannot remember which ones had the info, but I have found a solution, change the encryption on the Sagem router to wep and use a wep key and it works. I have Sipgate working with Xlite on my laptop and From a DECT phone on an ATA behind the router.
      Hope it works for you
      Bob
      Hello Bob,

That's really odd. I completely missed the point where the "magic" connection between the WPA/WEP change and the SIP proxy function should be... But hey, that's software. So I gave it a try.

Unfortunately I ruined the router with that even more :-( I haven't been able to alter the WLAN settings anymore since I checked the WEP radio button once. As you can see in the screen shot below all relevant values are cleared. Someone could assume that the AP function is disabled but the page "Router Status" states "Wireless AP: enable" and I can see the correspondent SSID with my WLAN adaptor.

If I put something into the empty fields of the page "Wireless Settings" and press apply, the same page returns with cleared values. I rebooted the router because most of all software related errors would be fixed by that ;-) (BTW: Is it not worrying when a bus or train needs to be "rebooted" to function properly?). Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem; that's why I checked the log of the router and found some messages in this regard:

Jan 1 00:00:36 user warn kernel: Uninitialised timer!
      Jan 1 00:00:36 user warn kernel: This is just a warning. Your computer is OK
      Jan 1 00:00:36 user warn kernel: function=0x00000000, data=0x0
      Jan 1 00:00:36 user warn kernel: Call Trace: [<8003e18c>] [<8003e1d0>] [<c006305c>] [<8004c010>] [<8004bf10>] [<8003a534>] [<8007fc84>] [<8001a748>] [<8001a748>] [<80099a20>]
      Jan 1 00:00:36 user warn kernel: BRCM NAT Caching disabled

Mar 20 08:29:14 user warn kernel: Write Flash: part=[PERSISTENT]
      Mar 20 08:29:14 user warn kernel: Read Flash: part=[SCRATCH_PAD]
      Mar 20 08:29:14 user warn kernel: Write Flash: part=[SCRATCH_PAD]
      Mar 20 08:29:15 user warn kernel: Read Flash: part=[SCRATCH_PAD]
      Mar 20 08:29:15 daemon err user: tr69c: Unable to retrieve attributes in scratch PAD
      Mar 20 08:29:15 daemon err user: Stored Parameter Attribute data is corrupt or missing
      Mar 20 08:29:16 user warn kernel: Read Flash: part=[SCRATCH_PAD]
      Mar 20 08:29:16 daemon err user: tr69c: Unable to read tr69c acs state data from scratch pad
      Mar 20 08:29:16 user warn kernel: Write Flash: part=[SCRATCH_PAD]

AFAIK a Kernel Call Trace is never a good sign. I found it in previous logs too, so I don't know whether is important or not. I am neither a developer or Linux kernel expert nor have the possibilities to debug the memory of the box. That's why I can't investigate this any further.

The second marked message is more interesting because its new (I couldn't find it in previous logs). A corrupt configuration file could explain the behaviour of the router. Unfortunately a reset of the router did NOT fix it! I think I should take a hardware defect into consideration. I'm going to contact the Sky support for a replacement of my router.

(I'm unsure about the importance of the TR69 messages because I don't know whether Sky is incorporating TR69 auto configuration.)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have found a solution, change the encryption on the Sagem router to wep and use a wep key and it works.
      I forget to mention in my last post that I have serious security concerns to enable WEP on a WLAN AP! WEP is insecure by design. There are several tools which can crack/calculate an unknown WEP password within a minute. So using a WEP encryption is like using no encryption.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try resetting the router by pushing a biro point in the little hole at the back, this will return it to the original settings and you can proceed from there.

If you are worried about using WEP security, you can also use the Access List as an extra layer of security. I know this can also be overcome, but it is better than using WEP on it's own.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Try resetting the router by pushing a biro point in the little hole at the back, this will return it to the original settings and you can proceed from there.
      That's what I did yesterday. All configuration values were reset (e.g. password, firewall rules etc). But the described behaviour is still there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast