Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky tampering with my p2p speeds?

This is a discussion on Sky tampering with my p2p speeds? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. Ever since ive had sky broadband installed ...

TOONARMEEE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gosforth
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky tampering with my p2p speeds?

Hi all, was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this.

Ever since ive had sky broadband installed ive had decent enough speeds using Bittorent, specifically the Azureus client.

All last week i did a lot of downloading, i'd say around 5gb worth, this is still within my monthly 40gb cap.

But recently, within the last few days i cannot get over around 10kb/s using bittorent, and yes i know people will tell me that speeds vary using this type of program but its literally everything i try to get, ive tried various files with high seeds and peers and i get the same speed generally around 2kb/s.

so my question is, has sky done something to my account to stop me downloading torrents quickly? is that possible.

any replies would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky tampering with my p2p speeds?

no its not possible as Sky don't throttle P2P - however, Connect is a re-branded BT product and they DO throttle P2P connections so you're prob getting capped by BT...have you set Azeurus to encrypted connectons?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

TOONARMEEE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gosforth
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes i have the encryption on, but it obviously is just there for show.

Is there any way to get this cap removed other than ring up sky and shouting down the phone once again about their questionable service

Thanks

not at all, as Sky don't have any say in the matter - BT cap it to keep traffic quick for everyone, not just those who rape it...

plus, Sky see P2P as illegal filesharing so prob best not to mention it...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post

plus, Sky see P2P as illegal filesharing so prob best not to mention it...
      P2P = Illegal file sharing????

What's next, FTP = Illegal downloading.
      Newsfeeds = Illegal downloading as well?

Based purley on your comments, and I have no others to go on, Sky seem to be completely out of touch as to what they think is classed as an internet connection.
      Would any other true ISP (as opposed to a company that just bought another ISP and stuck a customer service team at the front) state things like that?, I suspect not.

Slim

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The trouble is that it's not Sky, BT etc who are saying that, the FBI are now stating that 90%+ of p2p is in fact illegal activity.

Totally legal useage is definately in the minority, coupled with that p2p traffic takes up 60% of daytime useage and 90% of nightime internet use makes governments and the ISP's very nervous.

The UK government is now considering whether or not to ban p2p full stop or at least refuse a broadband connect to people who they catch using the net for illegal use and the ISP's see p2p a very expensive use of bandwidth and hidden in the SKY T&C's is that they can sling somebody off the network if they suspect you of breeching somebodies interlectual property.

And as stated above Connect is a BT re-badged product any ISP you go to that isn't LLU will be using BT and BT will call the shots. And Virgin also uses traffic shaping as well as speed throttling as a way of controlling bandwidth.

In fact Sky,o2 and their affiliates (UKOnline, Be etc) are the ones who are currently having less restrictions that the 2 market leaders BT and Virgin, for how much longer who knows?

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes but even if 90% is illegal traffic then 10% is a lot of genuine traffic to all of sudden brand illegal.

This rubbish about the government getting ISP's to ban people from the internet is absolutley shocking.
      The internet is not owned by anybody and that is the basis upon which it has become a part of life for everybody. Besides all of that everything will just go back under-ground again to FTP's and private encryption.
      P2P is only a relativly new thing. Certainly pretty much non-existent when I got my first BB connection about 7 or 8 years ago now, at which point FTP's were the place to be for all the illegal stuff.

Slim

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The trouble is that it is the US government that actually controls the net and even though calls have been made to give overall control to the UN, the US has basically refused as what we are using are just extentions of the original 50's military comms network.

I would think that the law enforcement agencies would prefer it all going back to FTP servers as the whole point of p2p is that the data is being shared by a decentralised network of people sharing.

At least FTP servers could be found and shut down if they were doing illegal things plus their bandwidth bills would be obscene if they were serving a large amount of people as now many more people are using the net as oppsed to even 5 years ago.

djkemp1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The ISP's spokesman has already said that they are opposing any proposed law as they don't feel they should be able to inspect data and it would cost them too much money to do, plus it is surely against data protection and privacy laws?

i don't think this law will ever get passed

Thanks

end of the day, there's not a lot that can be done to speed up P2P on Connect as BT are throttling it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast