Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

download speeds

This is a discussion on download speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i would be grateful for any help in improving my download speed.i realise that because i am a fair distance ...

mal d is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ponteland
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

download speeds

i would be grateful for any help in improving my download speed.i realise that because i am a fair distance from the exchange i won't get a great connection,but i was getting 1mbps from bt broadband which was ok.apologies for not being very tech minded,here are the stats from my sky router Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 00:09:00

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 935 1035 0 416 2355 00:07:23
      LAN 100M/Full 1659 1461 0 2736 499 00:08:56
      WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 128 kbps 128 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 15 db 8 db

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: download speeds

How long have you been connected? It looks like you have a test speed, which sometimes happens when you plug in before the line is fully activated.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for reply,i have been connected since 6th feb.had connection problems last week and received a new router yesterday,had hoped this would solve download speed

Thanks

One of the Sky bods may confirm but I think you will have to get in touch with Sky and go through the 'Slow Speed' routine.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

rang sky today and was told that there was a problem at the exchange which should be fixed by friday,then rang bt about this and was told they didn't know if there was a problem or not but my line was working ok for making/receiving calls and any broadband help i needed should be done through sky

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you're line is at test speed - how no one at tier 1 can see that is beyond me
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

how no one at tier 1 can see that is beyond me
      Lack of training, lack of training and more lack of training. I think you will agree, if this was passed to CST it would be fixed in minutes. How can the op get action instead of lies?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

rang sky yet again and was told there was no problem at exchange regarding broadband,asked the question about line running at test speeds and was told that was just someone's opinion and then proceeded to go through all the router checks yet again.As my router is on an extension cable i had to disconnect and plug into test socket of phone line(again) and stats were exactly the same download speed 128 kbps.as i had to disconnect phone to do this it meant calling back and telling the next muppet where we were at,i was then informed my pc also needed to be taken downstairs and connected back to the router( spitting feathers at this stage) i replied surely any stats that they required could be obtained just from the router.next step back on the phone again and spoke to someone with a bit of sense who would put me in touch with next level of tech support,after being put on hold a couple of times and nutting a few walls told them not happy about being charged for all these calls at my expense and gave me an address to try and claim it back,anyway was advised to call back later for engineer.rang again and engineer sorted problem straight away,line speed hadn't been increased from it's lowest point(i assume this is the test speed) and am now running at just over 600kbps download speed,although this probably still looks crap to some of you on high speeds i am quite far from exchange.to sum up my three weeks so far with sky,sky+ box blew on first day of installation, got replacement following week,engineer rang on afternoon of fitting and said he had to use extra sky+ box earlier in day so didn't have one for me could he come next day,blew a gasket on phone to sky and someone turned up at 6.30 that evening,sky router would not connect to internet got new router which would connect, but at a snails pace,two weeks of hassle on the phone but hopefully all sorted now.thanks for the replies.

Thanks

You should be able to do better than 600kbps, although you have a high attenuation, I would have thought somewhere around 1000-1500 should be attainable. A couple of things you can try-
      Disconnect the wire from terminal 3 on all your sockets. This is the ring wire and is not required using filters.
      Keep the router beside the master socket and use a long ethernet extension to your PC.
      Fit an ADSL Nation faceplate to the Master socket. If you do this you don't have to bother about the ring wire.

TomD

Useful Utilites