Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Download Limit

This is a discussion on Download Limit within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I wonder could someone please help me understand some statistics on 'My Sky'? I've had the 2GB base package - ...

vcmazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208890
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Download Limit

I wonder could someone please help me understand some statistics on 'My Sky'? I've had the 2GB base package - probably for a couple of years now and it's always been fine in the past. But today I've reveived an email to say I've used 1.45GB already (72.5%) and I still have 26 days to go before my next allowance starts!

Apparently, I went over my monthly allowance in February too. It would seem I was sent an email on 8th February to tell me this. I don't remember it but I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But what really confuses me is my 'Broadband History Usage'. The figures read:

Dec 2009 - 5.5GB
      Jan 2010 - 11GB
      Feb 2010 - 'over' 12GB
      Mar 2010 - 'over' 12GB

Now, how can my usage for Mar 2010 be over 12GB, when my allowance is only 2GB and I'm being told I've only used 72.5% of my allowance? Can anyone shed any light on this stuff? I'd be most grateful.

2. Advertisement
      theoutsider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

vcmazz, If I were you I'd check and see if you are still on Base.
      Until late 2009, there was no system in place for monitoring useage so people were able to abuse thier limits for years without consequence.
      Now there is a system in place and those who have been or are now going over their limits are being auto-upgraded if they exceed the limit two months in a row.

Looking at your numbers, I'd guess and say you were auto-upgraded to everyday in January on the day you hit 2.01Gb so the 72.5% usage being referred to in the e-mail is of the 10Gb allowance for Everyday and not the 2Gb allowance for Base and if you continue the way you are going, you will be on Unlimited soon, if you are not already.
      To have any chance of ever down-grading, you need to stay below the limit of the package you want to go down to for 2 months in a row, and then keep below it.
      At the end of the day, the amount you use is the amount you use and the Unlimited package at 10/15 is still great value for money, I really don't think there is another truly unlimited package for that money anywhere.

Thanks

Many thanks theoutsider. I agree entirely that it's good value. I just didn't realise that they've only just started monitoring it and not having a clue how much download I use, I assumed I'd always been within my 2GB limit. It would seem I use way, way, over!

But this surely means that someone who opted for the unlimited package over the last two years has paid about 250 more than me for the same thing? A result for me, but an absolute shambles wouldn't you agree?

I've attached two photos which I really don't understand. Picture one says I've used 1.45GB of my 2GB allowance (so it would seem I am still on 'Base' until next month at least). But having clicked on Broadband Usage History to get picture two, it says I've already used over 12GB of my March allowance. Any idea why one page tells me I've used 1.45GB and the next tells me I've used over 12GB?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Download Limit-sky-pic-1.jpg   Download Limit-sky-pic-2.jpg  

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Definitely a mix up somewhere. You should call or email Sky to find out what is going on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes. I did email them late on Friday night. Haven't heard anything yet but then I guess it is the weekend. I'll give it a couple of days and if I don't get a reply I'll give them a call.

theoutsider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

True about the ppl who have been on unlimited although they have of course benefited from an up-to 20mb connection whereas Base only gives 2mb...
      Don't hold your breath waitng for the e-mail reply, call in and they will be able to confirm your package, and your exact useage in 2 minutes.
      Last edited by theoutsider; 07-03-10 at 05:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12