Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems With Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Problems With Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently switched to Sky from Tiscali, and am having problems connecting (was having the same problems with Tiscali though, ...

rjlg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problems With Sky Broadband

I recently switched to Sky from Tiscali, and am having problems connecting (was having the same problems with Tiscali though, but i switched because they were not interested in finding out what the problem is):

I'm plugged into the test socket on the master BT socket, and have changed all the filters. *I've had two different Routers with Sky - first the Sagem, now the netgear and the problem is the same with both)

1. The Internet light only connects when I use phone (although i still can't get the Internet to work, but this may be the settings )

2. When the broadband router is plugged in, when we use the phone, there's a loud hissing or crackling noise (the line is clear without the router plugged in)

I've phoned Sky, who performed their tests, and found nothing wrong, then told me it must be a fault with BT. Phoned BT, who performed tests, said there's nothing wrong their side and refered me bach to Sky. Back to Sky, who sent me back to BT. I've done this about 3 times, and they're both still saying there's no problem their sides.

One thing that happened around the time the internet went crazy was that we had a (very small) storm, where the power went out for a minute. I don't know much about broadband, but is there any possibility that this could have caused a problem with the line?

Any advice would be appreciated...

2. Advertisement
      astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Problems With Sky Broadband

it does sound like a internal wire fault have you done a quiet line test?

Quiet Line Test

Unplug any extention phones, extention cables, answer machines or fax (anything except the phone you will use to do the test!).

Plug a normal touch tone phone directly into the BT master socket.

Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test)

You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing etc. If there is noise on the line, make sure it's not your phones connection to the socket (wiggle it about a bit) and that you are using the master socket.

try this for starters....

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BT are probably only testing the side of the line they really care about (voice telecoms) and not bothering with any thing else. It soulds like a line fault if the issue is still there on the test socket but you may need to force the issue with BT to get it sorted.

astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

And if the fault is internal and Bt find a bad joint or faulty equipment then they will charge the OP for the call out.
      Is all well and good saying its Bt problem but what if it’s not, also if there is a line fault then surely it’s the responsibility of the provider sky to report the faultly line not the OP...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the fault is on the BT side of the line, which it appears to be, there is not much you can legally do. If you are confident, you could remove part of the line box to give you access to the connections inside. Check that the connections are firm and no bare wires are touching anything they shouldn't.

I agree that it should be Sky who call out BT and ask them to do a thorough line check. They are your broadband supplier and it is up to them to contact BT. BT will do nothing to fix BB faults unless requested by the ISP. I am fairly sure if you call them, they will treat it as a voice fault, find nothing wrong, then charge you.

@ASTRA He is plugged in to the test socket so it cannot be an internal fault.
      Last edited by Isitme; 18-02-08 at 09:27 PM. Reason: comment

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rjlg View Post
      One thing that happened around the time the internet went crazy was that we had a (very small) storm, where the power went out for a minute. I don't know much about broadband, but is there any possibility that this could have caused a problem with the line?

Any advice would be appreciated...
      Could lightning have zapped the master socket in some way which has left it still testing OK for voice calls?