Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Checklist for setting up

This is a discussion on Checklist for setting up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ahoy there! I arrived back home today and found Sky had kindly delivered the Netgear Router whilst I was away. ...

Kaptain Karnage is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Only 1120kbps... Suggestions?

Ahoy there!

I arrived back home today and found Sky had kindly delivered the Netgear Router whilst I was away. I flicked through the stuff in the box and the letters they'd sent out. I was smart enough to know that the CD wasn't the best way to go about setting it up so popped online and found this place.

I must say that I'm very impressed by the site so far, from the detailed technical information through to the noble action of refusing paypal donations in favour of self funding via adverts (better men than I )

After reading through the various threads and FAQs my original - and foolishly optimistic - plan of setting up without having to plug the router into the PC has been re-evaluated.

Currently with Virgin for BB via cable with a new BT line having been put in for the switch to sky. Unfortunately the router is the other side of the house to the PC so will have to buy some cable (Is it Cat5?) to do the initial setup as I'm not going to attempt anymore speedcabling this week by moving the computer.

So I think I've got the right thread to guide me through the initial set up:
      How-to Configure your Routers Wireless Settings

I just wanted to ask if there was anything else I need to know/do/get before I start?

I'm also going to need to pick up a wifi card for my other PC when i get the cable, any suggestions as to what I should look for? My last flat had an Ethernet network built into it so I'm new to the whole wireless thing.

I'm gonna hit the hammock for the night so will hold off making any purchases tomorrow and check back here for any advice before getting started.
      Last edited by Kaptain Karnage; 19-02-08 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Revised Thread Title

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Checklist for setting up

I know it's bad form to reply to your own postings, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with regards to what I need to look for in the way of a wireless card for my PC. I believe it should be the G rather than B as that's faster (right?) but am unsure beyond that what all the technical specs actually boil down to.

I'm not looking for anything fancy just cheap and practical. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KK

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have realised there is already a thread addressing wireless cards:
      Wireless card For Netgear Router

Think I'm all set to try setting up now (once I've bought the cable), but just had a thought. I imagine I'll have to disconnect my Virgin cable modem for the set up to work, if I have trouble will the Virgin one still work when I plug it back in?

Not sure if there are settings or files I should be making a copy of before I begin, it would be inconvenient to be stuck with two modems and no net access.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Karnage View Post
      I imagine I'll have to disconnect my Virgin cable modem for the set up to work, if I have trouble will the Virgin one still work when I plug it back in?
      Just unplug your network cable from the cable modem and plug in it to the Sky router. You do not need to disconnect your Virgin Cable Modem as it will work as long as your account is active and does not use your telephone line.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      Just unplug your network cable from the cable modem and plug in it to the Sky router. You do not need to disconnect your Virgin Cable Modem as it will work as long as your account is active and does not use your telephone line.
      Just wanted to check that it wouldn't erase any settings, etc and leave me stranded. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm now coming to you via the wonders of Sky broadband. Feel extremely foolish after seeing just how simple the set up was. (Unplug Virgin router, plug in sky and... that's it?)

I'm not worrying about the wireless side of things at the moment as having checked my router stats I find myself connecting at a measly 1120 kbps!

Any suggestions what to try first (I keep getting more confused the more I look at the threads).

Thanks,
      KK

System Up Time: 01:15:42

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1120 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 7 db

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The very first thing you should do is find your master socket, hope that it is an NTE5, unscrew the face plate and plug in to the socket you find behind it. Post your stats for comparison. If you don't have an NTE5, plug into the master socket and remove everything else you have plugged in to your extensions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Was in the master socket but have now removed the cover and plugged into the socket inside (I think that's the test socket).

Nothing else is plugged into the BT line/sockets. Stats seem unchanged:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1152 kbps 352 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 8 db

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

With the negligible difference in stats between the test socket and master socket can I put the plate back on?

Worried about someone sticking their fingers in there and making it worse!