Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems with home network

This is a discussion on Problems with home network within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I have just joined Sky Broadband on the max package and ...

gizmo001i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01502
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Problems with home network

Hi,
      I was wondering if someone could help me. I have just joined Sky Broadband on the max package and I'm using the Netgear DG934G router. I have been having problems setting up my home network, even though I have no problems connecting to the internet via wireless or wired.
      I can ping each computer on the network, but when I try to find each computer, I get nothing except for the router. Any help will be very appreciated.
      Many thanks
      Ian

2. Advertisement
      -Paul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Parkstone
      Broadband ISP: Freesat
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Humax HDR + 42"
      Thanks

Re: Problems with home network

Hi Ian,
      Have you set your workgroup name the same ie "MSHOME" or "WORKGROUP" have you enabled Sharing on the Drives? have you allowed your Firewalls to exept traffic etc can you use Remote Desktop? is your LAN wired correctly? -good luck
      Paul

Thanks

Hiya Paul,
      Thanks for the reply. I can answer yes to all the above except for the remote access as I haven't tried that yet. I will have a go later. As I say, both computers can see the router and I can ping both computers. But for some reason, they don't seem to see each other as a part of the network.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What OSs are you using? As has been mentioned all PC must be set to the same workgroup. This is about the most common reason for network set up failure. It is better to change them all to HOME, then there is no mistake.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

They are set to the same network name. I am using an xp comp with a vista laptop. I have downloaded and installed the file from microsoft to allow file sharing with a vista computer (Link Layer Topology). They also have the same password and everything, so I am at a loss as to what to do next lol. Many thanks for your replies guys.
      Last edited by gizmo001i; 17-02-08 at 02:51 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

To go back to basics try following this, first turn off the firewalls on all your machines -
      On the Vista PC -
      1. Go to Start, Control Panel, Network and Sharing Centre.
      2. Opposite where it says Network, click Customize and on the next pane select Private, Next, Close.
      3. Under Sharing and Discovery, expand the Sections for Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing, and Printer Sharing and select to turn them on. Leave the Password until you are set up, then you can turn it on.
      4. Check in the Sharing and Discovery that your PCs are using the same workgroup name, if one is different change it.
      5. This allows you to connect to the other PC, but before you can do anything you must allow the folders you want to access to be shared.
      6. The above also allows you to share a printer

On the XP machine -
      1. If you have not already done so go to MS and download and install the LLTD - Download details: Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)
      2. Go to the Control Panel and open the Network Setup Wizard. Select the option that you are connecting through a Residential Gateway and follow the Wizard to completion.

Bear in mind that although you may see the PC in the network you can only access files or folders which have been put into the Public or Shared folders.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi everyone. I have now sorted out the problem with my network. It turned out that even though I set up my network on the vista pc, it hadn't actually changed the workgroup name. I had to go to control panel/ system etc and change the workgroup from the computer details tab. Once I had done this, both comps communicated with each other. Many thanks to everyone for there advice.
      Ian