Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I have my own domain name?

This is a discussion on Can I have my own domain name? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am seriously considering moving over to sky broadband and one issue I have is that I use my own ...

birdy59 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01638
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I have my own domain name?

I am seriously considering moving over to sky broadband and one issue I have is that I use my own domain name for my email. Can someone please tell me how I can continue to use my domain for email etc.

Can you please suggest somewhere to host my domain and step by step details of how I set things up on Sky.

One other thing my son likes to use online gaming is the service from sky likely to be ok for this? Can I check the sort of maximum speed I can get on my particular telephone number?

Thanks very much for your help.

Michael

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Can I have my own domain name?

Easiest way would be to get a proper hosting account for it but you can also make use of a smtp server setup that is being offered to skyuser members.

birdy59 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01638
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

PaulSky thanks for the info. Do you have any more details on the smtp server from skyuser.

Thanks.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As the previous poster said getting a paid for package is the way to go, I use 1and1 and pay 10 for a years mail package but I am sure the sky user one will be good as well.

For gaming it's a bit hit or miss, some people have reported nothing but trouble and for myself I have had no problems at all.

The upload speed is very critical to how good a gaming experience you will get as that depends on how fast your pc/console gets data to the servers or other players so the better the package the better the chance you will get a good game.

I play MMO's and they are not so dependant on getting a good ping or latency, I can tolerate 200-300ms before it gets real bad but for FPS people they like ideally sub 60ms pings and Sky "doesn't support gaming" which means if you get a high ping tough luck.

Although bear in mind that Xbox Live and the Playstation PSN are both having problems at peak times with very large amount of users connecting up, although Xbox Live is apparently worse by lots.

This has nothing to do with ISP's or your setup it's just that Microsoft and Sony need more bandwith and server capacity and they don't seem to be in a hurry to get them fixed.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by birdy59 View Post
      PaulSky thanks for the info. Do you have any more details on the smtp server from skyuser.

Thanks.

SkyUser SMTP Server Live

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by birdy59 View Post
      Can you please suggest somewhere to host my domain and step by step details of how I set things up on Sky.
      For the domains you cou;d check out sites like 1&1 and 123reg.co.uk. For setting up things on Sky you could do no worse then look around these forums as there are plenty of step by step guides that will assist you.