Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

connection setup and SMTP

This is a discussion on connection setup and SMTP within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I signed up to Sky two days ago and the router etc arrived this morning! Having now found ...

AceB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

connection setup and SMTP

Hi all, I signed up to Sky two days ago and the router etc arrived this morning! Having now found this site I'm getting increasingly concerned on a couple of points that I'd like answers on please, if both turn out as I suspect I'll cancel my order PDQ using distance selling regs. Do I need to install any software to use the ADSL service? I assume everything I need is already on the router and I'll just connect via my LAN using my normal browser, I don't need to install their own browser and go via a homepage or anything like that do I?

Second issue, SMTP mail, I use 4 different email addresses, one exclusively for yahoo groups, one as a public email address, one private and the other for message boards. TBird lets me choose the from address and it all routes out via Nildrams SMTP server without a hitch. I'm reading horror stories of Sky stripping the from field and replacing it with my Sky address on every email, not only is this a nightmare for my mail filters and folders but also the other three users of POP mail in the house. Can someone explain exactly what's going on with the outbound mail and what the consequences are of setting the reply to address to the same as the from field?

Cheers

Paul
      (nearly a sky customer but maybe not!)

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: connection setup and SMTP

with regards to the smtp, they dont strip the return field - all emails should go back to the sending address, but it does say 'on behalf of xxx@sky.com' after the email address you send from...

this can't be changed either
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AceB View Post
      Do I need to install any software to use the ADSL service?
      (nearly a sky customer but maybe not!)
      will just plug and play (mcaffe is on the CD if you want it)

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys, it seems it isn't quite as bad as I thought then. One way or the other we should still get email to the correct mailboxes and my PC won't be taken over with some AO Hell like software demon. I'll run with it, they reckon I get switched on Friday and it should only take 10-15 mins of downtime, now that I won't hold my breath for.

Paul

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just want to update this one now I'm online. The CD remains tucked firmly in its case so no messing about with any nasty branded software. SMTP turned out to be a real PITA, it took me a while to get the configuration correct in Thunderbird2 and after finally getting it to work it soon became apparent the from field was being replaced with my Sky address. I could set a reply to but the Sky address remained visible, fortunately Easyspace, my website company have SMTP facilities which, after a couple of minutes setting up works perfectly. Why exactly are Sky so restrictive on this, are they trying to force everyone on to the dreaded webmail?

Connection so far so far seems OK, getting disconnected a couple of times each evening but this is probably due to the very long overhead run from the pole. Got a new faceplate arriving tomorrow so we'll see if it improves things, I'm loathed to complain about it in case I'm capped. I'll add something to the netspeed thread once the new plate is installed.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

its the google system which Sky switched to thats to blame. It uses a secure connection which needs to authenticate each time an email is sent/received. it's been a PITA for lot on here but for most part it's fine...SkyUser has an smtp server set up but as you have you're own already then you're sorted...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket