Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Stuck BRAS?

This is a discussion on Stuck BRAS? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, My migration to Sky Connect completed on Monday and my sync speed was 7616 and has remained so ever ...

pxl8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Stuck BRAS?

Hi,

My migration to Sky Connect completed on Monday and my sync speed was 7616 and has remained so ever since. However my speeds are limited to 2mb and the BT speedtester shows my IP Profile is 2000 and has been since Monday.

AIUI when I connected on Monday the profile should have changed to match the sync within 75min and clearly this hasn't happened. Previously I was with Pipex and had a solid 6.5mb for years.

I've spoken to Sky support and asked if I could have a stuck BRAS but they said wait for the 10 days to expire as the profile is constantly changing (it's not). I thought the profile would only change on re-sync?

Line stats are:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 22295 28968 0 1065 4692 01:41:05
      LAN 100M/Full 36519 27517 0 5769 1313 01:47:50
      WLAN 11M/54M 643 0 0 17 0 01:47:36
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 7 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 19 db

Does a stuck BRAS seem likely and if so do I have to wait 10 days for the profile to be reset?

TIA

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Stuck BRAS?

It does seem likely that that's the problem.

I had a similar problem to yours when I first got an 8Mbit/sec ADSL connection, and I was able to fix it myself. The procedure is described here.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I just tried the modem lead trick but it didn't work - I still sync'd up at 7616.

The other link for tweaking the router won't work - I've got the DG934G

Sky pretty much don't want to know as I'm still in the 10 days and they said if I power cycle the router the 10 days starts again and it won't complete until it's been on for 10 days without any gaps. Looks like I'll just have to wait...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pxl8 View Post
      they said if I power cycle the router the 10 days starts again and it won't complete until it's been on for 10 days without any gaps.
      That's complete rubbish. If the router didn't log-in at all within the 10 days training period then it would be true as the Maximum Stable rate (MSR) and Fault Threshold Rate (FTR) process uses a 10 day rolling window. However, if it has logged-in and then it is disconnected i.e. the training period has started then the MSR and FTR will be set after the 10th day using the data available since the first log-in.

I'm presuming that James' trick works as follows: ADSL Max has a feature called "blip logic". Basically, if a line has had a stable BRAS profile over a period of time and then experiences a single lower rate sync event, the BRAS will decrease in line with a set of standard rules. If the line rate then increases again before the next “heartbeat” from DLM (a sort of pseudo sync event), then the normal 3 day rule is bypassed and the BRAS will change within 15 minutes.

So basically you have two choices: put up with the Sky enforced wait and eventually get it looked at by BT (via Sky) or cobble up the nastiest connection you can (buy a pound shop extension and splitter and put the router and phone on the end of that) to get your router to temporarily sync at less than the current 7616kbps.
      Last edited by Saturday; 15-02-08 at 02:12 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to sync at anything lower than 7616 no matter how dodgy the wiring I use. I tried unfiltered with the phone off the hook but then it wouldn't sync at all - not a surprise really.

Guess I'll have to wait until next week and then get Sky to talk to BT.

Thanks everyone.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Do you really have a Netgear V1 DG834GT router, as your profile says? The original white router? If you do, then there's a much easier way to get the router to sync at a different speed, and that's to use the Mognut's Utility. Where it says "Set target noise margin to 7dB", change the 7 to something higher, say 15, and click on the Set button. Click OK on the alert window, then enter username admin and password sky, you'll get a page saying "Usage: ping [OPTION]... host" but don't worry about that.

You router should resynchronise with the exchange at a lower speed. Keep it like that for a couple of hours, and the remove the power from the router for a few seconds, and the put the power back in. Your router should synchronise back its previous, faster speed, and within a few minutes, your BRAS profile should change to reflect your full speed.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Whoops, no it's the DG934G v2 router

I've fixed my profile now!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just an update. I had an offer from someone on ThinkBroadband to get my settings sorted and an hour later I was back on 6.5mb