Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting to another Sky Broadband user

This is a discussion on Connecting to another Sky Broadband user within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I play a lot of WoW and I normally host a Ventrilo server for voice chat while playing. A ...

garadox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01159
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connecting to another Sky Broadband user

Hi,

I play a lot of WoW and I normally host a Ventrilo server for voice chat while playing.

A friend who used to connect to my server has just signed up to Sky Boradband and he can no longer connect into the server (or any service running on my PC).

Has anyone else had this problem? It looks like Sky is blocking any communication betweeen Sky Broadband users who are not on the same subnet (the netmask in the router is 255.255.255.255), which seems silly as their own Sky Anytime program would also be blocked!

Anyone heard of this before/ have a work around?

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Connecting to another Sky Broadband user

A netmask of 255.255.255.255 indicates that the link is a point-to-point connection. When a network interface has a netmask of 255.255.255.255, it means that any attempt to contact any address, other than its own, must be sent to the gateway address. You can see from this that the problem is nothing to do with subnets.

If your friend used the Sky Broadband CD, he has probably installed the McAfee firewall software, and this is most likely the cause of the problem.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

The other user did the same install as me (set up the router without the CD, don't need it).

They can connect to my ventrilo server from work, but not from their sky broadband connection at home. There is definately no firewall/anti-virus checker running in between either connection that could cause any issue.

Even a ping request times out (either due to the sky gateway blocking ICMP packets or the connection to another subnet being blocked).

I can however ping other IP addresses in my subnet (i.e. I have a 123.123.123.199 address, and can ping 123.123.123.150 no problems).

Any chance the gateway is refusing the connection to another subnet?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Do you mean you can't access other Sky Broadband customers whose public IP addresses are in different IP allocation blocks from your own?

My current public IP address is in the 90.210.0.0 to 90.211.255.255 block, and I've tried pinging random addresses in other Sky Broadband IP address blocks. I've pinged addresses in the big 90.192.0.0 to 90.199.255.255 block with no problem, I've pinged addresses in the smaller 90.206.0.0 to 90.206.255.255 block.

I guess it's possible that an error in router configuration might accidentally block communication between a specific address range to a different, but specific address range. But there doesn't seem to be any kind of intentional routing feature that does this.

It might be worth rebooting both the routers a few times to get them to grab different IP addresses in different address ranges, and see if the problem persists.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, I rebooted my router and am now in the 90.146.x.x range.

My friend is in the 90.211.x.x range and I can now ping and get a connection.

Strange that some parts of the network cannot see other parts, unless it's a gateway glitch!

Thank you for the help.