Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Have we been capped?

This is a discussion on Have we been capped? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, Just run a speed test on three sites including this one regarding our sky (Mid) and noticed that ...

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Have we been capped?

Hi Guys,

Just run a speed test on three sites including this one regarding our sky (Mid) and noticed that our download speeds have dropped from 5mbps+ for the first few weeks after joining Sky in January, to a measly 1.5ish mbps accompanied by a noisy telephone line. The line was quiet beforehand in the first few weeks we were connected. I assume we've been capped or restricted in some way here. Could you guys please advise on what I do next to get it back to the 5mbps we had previously along with our quiet phone line?

Many Thanks

These are the basic router stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1984 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.0 db 21.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 14.0 db
      Last edited by orbiter; 15-02-08 at 01:37 AM.

2. Advertisement
      jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Have we been capped?

i would first of all check all of your connections like are you in the mastersocket or are you using an extension? have you got microfilters on all of the telephone sockets that are in use in the house? have you got the sky tv splitter in before the microfilter?and if all these are fine i would consider either phoning bt or sky as there could be a fault on your phone line you would be better phoning sky because if you phone bt and mention sky they will tell you that your line is fine and tell yo to contact sky.

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If their is persistent noise on the line then it is a BT problem. You can go to Bt.com and do a noise test or you can unplug everything connected to broadband and just have the phone connected to the master socket , if the noise problem still exsists then phone bt and mention noise, but not broadband. Obviously check all your connections as mentioned above in the first instance

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Thanks for the responses

I actually installed the BB myself and know that all the connections are ok and microfilters are in the correct places. I do understand that at certain times there can be slight line noise depending on the time of day and internal equiment within the house as we do get pops and crackles sometimes, however BT have said that the line is ok and my tests at the master socket confirm this too.

Saying that though our BB was fine for weeks with a high speed sometimes over 6.5Mbps and at that time the line was perfectly quet. It's as if something has been turned down which has now reduced our BB speed to below 1Mbps in some cases and the line noise on occasions is more noticable?

I have completed the Sky form below in the hope that they will fix it for me.

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/kana
      Last edited by orbiter; 15-02-08 at 12:28 PM.