Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Max Before and After Stats

This is a discussion on Sky Max Before and After Stats within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just been changed over to Sky Max. Here's the stats for before and after. These stats are from Netgear ...

Paul N is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Max Before and After Stats

I've just been changed over to Sky Max. Here's the stats for before and after.

These stats are from Netgear DG834G v2 running BT Broadband 8Mb @ 2pm GMT:

Connection Speed: D/S:8128 kbps U/S:448 kbps
      Line Attenuation: D/S:7 db U/S:1.5 db
      Noise Margin: D/S:12 db U/S:27 db

Speedtest.net: D/S:6825kbs U/S: 383kbs

Ping bbc.co.uk: 10m/s average

These stats are from Netgear DG934G v2 running Sky Broadband Max 16Mb @ 11am GMT:

Connection Speed: D/S:16379 kbps U/S:764 kbps
      Line Attenuation: D/S:12 db U/S:1.5 db
      Noise Margin: D/S:11 db U/S:18 db

Speedtest.net: D/S:14100kbs U/S: 367kbs

Ping bbc.co.uk: 28m/s average

So The download has obviously increased but the upload has stayed roughly the same. My pings have got much worse, I was getting 30ms on speedtest.net with BT but only 60 with Sky. The line attenuation has also got worse with Sky as has the noise margin.

I know the connection is pretty good but is there anything I can do to get those pings down? Or do those new stats suggest anything out of sorts with my line connection? I haven't run any TCP optimisers.

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky Max Before and After Stats

First, Do you live in your exchange? I have never seen such a low line attenuation.

Second, to lower pings, phone up or email sky and ask for Max delays to be reduced. This will sort your pings.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

with a ping now below 30 its not gonna get any better...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I would chop my left arm off, for stats like them....

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Talking Re: Sky Max Before and After Stats

Run TCP Optimiser and you will probably squeeze a few more Ks out of it. Speedtesters are never 100% accurate, real life tests are the only true way to get your up/down speeds.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone.

I am close to the exchange (about 200m). Could walk there in a couple of minutes.

I've read through the thread about ping times with Sky so that explains the problems there. Hope I haven't made the wrong decision because I do a bit of xbox live gaming (Halo, etc) so hope my ping times won't effect that.

I've run TCP Optimizer and am getting about the same results. Will have to check again off peak.

What really gets me though is the jump in attenuation. An extra 5db for adding in a little Sky technology? And for some reason I'm not even breaking 400kbs on the upload? In fact the upload is no better than it was on BT.

I suppose its a trade off. The important things for gaming are upload speed and ping rate. My ping rate has gotten a lot worse and the upload hasn't changed? But on the flip side I'm getting transfer speeds of 1.7MB/sec

Time will tell.

P.S. Will my download speeds suffer if I ask for a max delay adjustment? Will adjusting the max delay make a difference on my line?

Thanks again.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
      What really gets me though is the jump in attenuation. An extra 5db for adding in a little Sky technology? And for some reason I'm not even breaking 400kbs on the upload? In fact the upload is no better than it was on BT.
      The attenuation figure is averaged out across the full range of frequencies used for your broadband connection. G.DMT (as used by BT) uses frequencies between anout 136kHz and 1050kHz. Sky Broadband uses ADSL2+ or at least it does on Broadband Max connections which are fast enough to get any benefit by using it. ADSL2+ uses frequencies from 136kHz to 2112kHz. The higher the frequency, the higher the attenuation, so it stands to reason that the average attenuation will increase if the top frequency in use is higher.

The upload speed seems like an error on the part of Sky. There's no real reason why you shouldn't get the 764kbit/sec that is the normal highest upload speed on Sky Broadband. Or at least, I can't think of a reason why not.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info James.

Seen some stats from other people with higher attenuation on the upload than me but are getting over 600kbs upload from speedtest.net. My speedtest.net for upload sometimes drops into the 200kbs, even when the download consistently gets over 14000kbs at the same time. Does this point to a problem I should call Sky support about?

I run the speedtest here at skyuser.co.uk and it gave me over 600kbs on the upload? And I'm noticing a long pause between the download and upload test at speedtest.net. Never used to do that.

Would that noise margin on the upload be anything of concern? It was much higher on BT.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hold on. Panic might be over.

Just done this using the Maidenhead server as opposed to the recommended London:

So it may have been a server issue. Nice to see that ping down. Thanks again everyone.