Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unable to Authenticate Account

This is a discussion on Unable to Authenticate Account within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Dear all (and hopefully a techie a Sky!), A friend has recently switched to Sky BB but has not been ...

Morph Monkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Barnet
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Unable to Authenticate Account

Dear all (and hopefully a techie a Sky!),

A friend has recently switched to Sky BB but has not been able to use the service. Countless calls to CS, virtually every day has proved to be useless.

The situation is that he has received one of the new Sagem routers, this appeared to connect to the exchange but then fails to authenticate and allow service.

T1 decided to send out a second router, this time the new Netgear. This box also connects to the exchange but then fails to authenticate. More CS phone calls and they decided that they now want to send a 3rd router! According to CS (and feedback from T2) they are unable to verify the mac and serial code of the new router, I queried whether sending another router out would fix this problem, surely all they have to do is check the provisioning/account records to see which mac/serial is assigned to the my friends account. It is now 2 weeks since “activation” and we are still no closer to getting the situation resolved. (Sadly I still can recall when CS lied about faulty tie-pairs on the DSLAM during my own setup when all they had to do was setup my account to allow authentication as I was sync’ing with the exchange! Luckily I used to have some good contacts within the industry but I am unable – unfortunately – to take advantage of this anymore... how I miss Brick Lane... Anyway!)

Additionally T1 say they can’t open a ticket as they can’t see the router on the system... so this would mean they would never be able to raise a ticket to another Tier, which is amusing as they confirmed the correct mac & serial of both routers over the phone.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue and if so was there a simple solution? So far all I am able to do is confuse the poor chaps on T1, who even after a 80+ minute call yesterday refused/were unable to put me through to anyone that knew what they were doing from a technical standpoint. I am connected to the same exchange as my friend and have had no issues with my BB service via Sky (once it was up and running properly!)

Regardless of what helpful information I pass on to CS we are without service with no light at the end of the tunnel.

As always your feedback would be most appreciated to this shorthand version of events!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Unable to Authenticate Account

are they on connect? there seems to be a lot on Connect that are in the same boat...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Sorry - A bit of info missed by my part! (busy in the garden clearing it before the missus has the **** - so much for a week off!!)

They are on Mid, should get around 2.5/3M down as we are a fair distance from the local exchange (New Barnet). The sagem reported a healty up/down but the netgear is only 0.5M.

Though I'm only getting to grips with the new router (I'm using my trust Netgear v1), the stats reported that we are connected and IMO is more likely to be an account/auth issue. I've had a chat with a few other mates in the industry (who sadly have no contacts that I can use) and we all seem to be thinking the above.

CS even tried at first to get my friend to call an engineer out for £75 - they really need to check the scripts they are reading before they say anything - not that it's a T1 fault - bless them.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

it depends if the router is actually on the system as active or not - a fact only CST (and the old tier 3 at that) can find out...abuse could also see what's going on but have no idea how they'd go about it - prob pass to you to tech!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I've tried everything to get to T3 for them to do the check but T1 aren't having any of it, with normal reasoning, abuse, jokes etc.

I can get to T3 via provisioning but then once through T3 are giving me the fob-off saying I need to go via T1 to confirm the usual security details etc.

Am hoping there is someone on T3 here that would be kind enough to have a quick dip into the system - just annoyed I can't go via my old router as a former supplier and just get it resolved in a few clicks!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If the router is not authenticating then the T1 will need to pass the details on to a team leader to get it done, once it is manually raised on the system then T1 can deal with any issue and raise escalation tickets to get to CST as normal.
      I would call tonight... (after 1900 if possible) and tell the T1 you aren't getting any connection, tell them the light is orange and flashing on the router, ask them to check if your mac is on the system by opening a Technical Enquiry at the start of the call, if they then ask for your MAC address as they cannot raise a ticket make sure you give them the details and ask them to make sure they pass the details on to a team leader to get it put onto the system.
      CST will not take your call without you going through T1, that is what T1 is there for and if another department puts you through to them you will get the same response everytime from CST as they are not allowed to take the call without certain checks being done.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Sadly we must have raised a few tickets to be passed on (as confirmed by T1) with no success. I've just spoken with CS, as I wanted to confirm that yesterdays ticket had been raised, and he confirmed that it had and had been escalated. To make sure I didn't state that I had a ticket, I just asked for an update to see what would be said.

I'll give the evening call a bash today, I'll pop round to my friends so I'll be at the machine if needed. It seems to be that there is a small flaw in the ticketing process for people in this situation - perhaps I should offer my services to fix it! (Anything to get out of clearing the garden)

Much appreciated - Thank you.

I'll update with any progress and will try to obtain the exact cause of the issue so that it will hopefully be of benefit to anyone else in this situation.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

There is no flaw in the ticket system, just a slight problem in the logistics group not entering mac addresses properly or closing router transit orders. Did you get a ticket number from teh CS person? That would be the only way of knowing for sure a ticket is raised.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried your own router on their connection? This would confirm whether it is a line or authentication problem. I am inclined to believe the latter, but it would give a bit of ammo when calling

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The line is fine as otherwise I'd be unable to sync to the exchange, CS have also confirmed that the line is fine. Everything appears to be ok in terms of physical connection, he's just not be allowed to use the service as paid for. On a subnote my garden is looking a lot cleaner now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast