Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't Keep/Find A Connection to my Router

This is a discussion on Can't Keep/Find A Connection to my Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Apologies if this is in the wrong section I didn't know whether to post this in the wireless sub-section or ...

StuckinMud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can't Keep/Find A Connection to my Router

Apologies if this is in the wrong section I didn't know whether to post this in the wireless sub-section or the router sub-section, so I decided to post it here.

Anyway to the point, I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer to my problem. I recently transferred my ISP from AOL to Sky Broadband. On AOL I was using the Netgear V1 DG834GT router (I believe it was this, it is the standard router AOL supply you with for broadband), and my wireless MSI adapter at the back of my PC picked up the router fine, i was using a WEP authorisation key.

Now my Sky router has come the Netgear V2 DG934G but for some reason I cannot connect to the internet on my PC. I can connect to XBOX Live now but for whatever reason I can't get the internet on.

There are 2 PCs in my home with different wireless adapters connected to the back of them but neither of them can connect to the internet, which is why I find it strange that I can get onto Xbox Live. I have three solid green lights on the router as well.

I am entering the WPA-PSK for my router with the network key Sky supplied me with, but the only thing that happens is the message "Wireless Network Connection" flashes on for a second that it has a excellent connect4ion to the router but then one second later informs me that the connection is unavailable, and this repeats continually.

At the MSI adapter settings it flashes with the Wireless Network Connection message when it is set to infrastructure but when I change it to Ad Hoc it stays continually connected but I still can't access the internet.

I have even tried hard wiring my router to my PC and going into the settings (192.168.0.1) but I can't even get into the routers settings (comes up with a messabox saying smoething like cannot search this page even though I am entering it into the address bar of Internet Explorer). I can with my old AOL router, but I obviously can't connect to the internet through it, which is another strange thing that I can't even access the router settings.

Any help would be great, I have tried ringing Sky Technical Department but they couldn't help me.
      Last edited by StuckinMud; 12-02-08 at 11:46 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Can't Keep/Find A Connection to my Router

The first thing to check is that your PCs are set to 'Obtain IP address automatically'. If you don't know how to do this post back with the OSs you are using. I don't know a lot about AOL, but I do know it is very invasive. Make sure you have removed all AOL software from your PCs and use a cleaner like CCleaner to remove the last vestiges.

Also check that you are using the correct key, it is often better to make one of your own, then you know you are getting it right. The default Sky one consists of capital letters only, no numbers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Check for AOL software in your add/remove list, also check your IP settings as we have seen a number of customers coming from AOL who have had their ip address set manually as 192.168.0.1 which will not work for a very good reason. Also check Internet Explorer, tools, internet options, connections, LAN settings for any settings and remove them.

StuckinMud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

There are no traces of AOL on my PC and the IP Obtain IP address automatically.

I am now on my Sky Router now which is hard wired (its the PC that can actually 192.168.0.1 pages as the other cannot for this router). So the connection seems to be fine, its the wireless adapters that seem to be the main problem. They are still just flashing found connection and then loosing it again in quick succession. I have entered the correct details into them I obtained from sky but I don't know what the problem could be.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Okay, try this, go into the router to the wireless settings, Security options and select the Disable button. This will turn off the security and confirm whether this is stopping your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.