Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Breaking the Terms and Conditions - Your Views Welcome

This is a discussion on Breaking the Terms and Conditions - Your Views Welcome within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR I would still recommend James, that you do not offer the ALGO for download to Joe ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Breaking the Terms and Conditions - Your Views Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I would still recommend James, that you do not offer the ALGO for download to Joe Bloggs and Co. Maybe offer your findings to a security firm for them to validate / refute your claims. Putting it for download imho is the wrong thing to do.
      I still think that's the right thing to do, i.e., NOT publish the algorithm. If I were to publish it and only one Sky Broadband customer were to suffer a financial loss, I'd feel terribly guilty about it. I've done my best to get Sky to acknowledge the problem, so if any customers suffer a loss, then it's down to Sky for not responding to the problem properly.

Of course you could argue that simply mentioning the fact that an exploit exists could encourage people to look for it. And behind the "not doing yourselves any favours" comment there seems to be an implication that anyone who isn't prepared to hush things up, can't be regarded as a "friend" of Sky's. But the world has moved on since the bad old days when companies like Microsoft would refuse even to utter the word "bug", let alone "security flaw". Hushing things up is not an acceptable practice now. Having spotted a problem, I couldn't in good conscience do anything other than make the fact that a security flaw exists, public.

As for my actions slowing down a firmware update, "Well, good!" I would say. Fixes for security flaws are much more important than fixes for reliability and user interface changes.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I agree with NewsreadeR, do not make this public. To do so would allow Sky to cast you (James) as the bad boy in all this. As things stand there is a flaw in wireless security and this is becoming well known on the net. Lets wait and see what Sky's next move is. I think this will delay any FW upgrades while they consider what to do. If someone were to have their bank details stolen because of this flaw, then Sky could be in the poo.
      So stay out of this James, or Sky will paint you as the evil hacker.

h todd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      That would seem to be the case, but I doubt Sky would ever be able to make any kind of issue out of it, what with the T&C's appearing to have been written by a year 10 kid on work experience.
      All this talk about sky routers is a little way over my head. But I join sky broad band in Sept 07, never saw a t&c just rang and asked for the FREE broadband.
      They put me a 17.99/m complained ( could only connect 50% of the time) and speeds no faster than dial up. they put me on 5/m same problem Finaly after 1000's of calls and letters and contacting ofcom. Recieve a letter last week
      We can only supply UP TO 2meg so you are now on the Free broadband
      Who is Kidding who
      Now tried to run Linux Sky say NO and you must use our router.
      If Sky TV was as bad as the broadband, and you had to use a Sky Tv ( you could not buy one from Comet etc). Sky Tv would have been long gone.
      Mentioned to Sky about the EU ( not bothered what can they do)
      I could be Virgins next coustomer

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h todd View Post
      I could be Virgins next customer
      hopefully you would be able to get cable, as you may get the same problems with another "phone line" bb connection

h todd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      hopefully you would be able to get cable, as you may get the same problems with another "phone line" bb connection
      Cable is outside the door, BUT the wife likes SKY TV, If Virgin would connect me to thier broadband only I may be interrested, but you need to take this package or that package. It seems that Broadband is a law unto its self http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/image...d/warpaint.gif
      Last edited by h todd; 21-02-08 at 08:09 PM.

welshpip is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01686
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi all newbie here i have a question i am just in process of joining sky broadband because where i live in the wilds sky is only service provider i can get for tv and it makes sense cheaper to have phone broadband tv all with same supplier.
      in very bad weather like now im unable to get to work so i work from home and access work through laptop for emails etc, under the terms i cant use it for business will i be breaking the rules.
      secondly my netgear dg834g router is great heard bad things about sky router how do i set up sky broadband through my netgear router dg834g
      many thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

According to SamKnows Newtown (Powys) exchange has not been enabled for Sky. If this is your exchange it would means you would go on the Connect product. A search of the forum for Connect will turn up many threads with nothing but complaints about this service. You would be well advised to think twice before signing up for it. Of those who have, a great many regret the decision.

It is rumoured that Sky are clamping down on the use of your own router, also the Routers supplied by Sky are probably better than the basic DG834G.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

welshpip is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01686
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi
      im about 6 miles from newtown but i know i had to have connect but all cancelled to many problems only joining to put all eggs in one basket easier to stay with tiscali.
      thanks anyway

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567