Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Breaking the Terms and Conditions - Your Views Welcome

This is a discussion on Breaking the Terms and Conditions - Your Views Welcome within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; yeah i know hence the...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: crc errors

yeah i know hence the

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

In all fairness and I mean this in no personal way. Sky would appear to have not even mastered the V1 Netgear, as for the V2 Netgear and Sagem V2, I would bet that's the same.

This whole episode of the FW for the V1's is a prime example. Since more or less the day we started this forum for our members we questioned the reliability / performance of the Netgear DG834GT.

If Sky were to kick people off now for using their own routers instead of the V1, then they would be either very foolish or very green.

The fact that 18 months after the V1 was first sent out and is still not fixed with a new FW or even Interim FW, imho is a Stuff You type of attitude.

Granted they have to get it right, but cmon 18 months? Either someone at Sky or Netgear wants a kicking. As for the flaws on the V1 (reputed or not) they are there. And, after two / three weeks of reporting to Sky, absolutely nothing has been done, or I bet likely to be done.

As for using the Sky router and the Sky router only, dead easy:

1) Support

2) VOD (Video on Demand)

3) Probably VOIP

Sky want to make even more money off us, not quite happy with the 75 a month I spend with them. Gosh, this makes me so angry. All they have to do is let the new FW's that they are beta testing, out on public download. That way people could try and report back if it works or not.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 10-02-08 at 10:59 PM. Reason: put Netgear instead of Network

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

i agree and when i said one router i meant one set of settings and only there own branded router instead of them having to support hundreds of routers like ukonline do

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Well I don't know what you are all moaning about. Two years with BT Broadband , Ip profile, and a target noise margin stuck at 15db woud give you something to think about. Say what you like, 10 buys a lot of access, and apart from the router issue, they are not a bad bunch.
      I work at Openreach/BT and they could not keep me as a customer.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Breaking the Terms and Conditions - Your Views Welcome

Split off into new thread, great debate chaps.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Well I don't know what you are all moaning about.
      Well you've got one of the Sagem routers which actually works pretty well!

It really is quite unbelievable that Sky have taken so very, very long to release new firmware for the V1 router. When was the Netgear V1.02.09 firmware released? July last year? The Sky firmware is based on the DG834GT V1.02.04 firmware, and the number of changes is really quite small. Reapply those changes to the V1.02.09 firmware and you've got a vastly more reliable Sky V1 router, and it's only taken less than a day's work!

And as for the security flaw, that's just unforgivable. Sky have known about the problem for a month (perhaps even more given the fact that the V2 routers make a point of using more than just the router's MAC address to generate the router's credentials. Sky deserve to get one hell of a roasting over that.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

OK, OK, it's past midnight and I've calmed down a bit from my earlier state of rage.

Frankly, looking at Sky Broadband's Terms and Conditions, they really have made a dog's breakfast out of the software licensing situation, implementing restrictions on other people's IP, when those other people specifically and unequivocally forbid their IP from having such restrictions placed upon them.

People often confuse the concept of "free" software, such software released under the GNU GPL. It's not free in the sense of being gratis, it's free in the sense of being unrestricted. It's simply not permissible to put a blanket restriction of the whole of the firmware without being in breach of the GPL. Without Sky making it clear which specific pieces of code running on the router they own, their Terms and Conditions on this issue are essentially meaningless.

I'm still keen on the idea of leaving Sky. It just hacks me right off, all this annoyance. I just want to be able plug in a flippin' router and have Internet coming out of it, reliably, and without having to go over licence terms with a fine, legal toothcomb.

And I'm definitely going to grass Sky up on the security issue. I want to see if I can get the story into the main news bulletins on TV. Really, it's the only ethical thing to do. With all the talk about government data losses, the idea that up to million Sky Broadband customers are unwittingly broadcasting all a hacker needs to access their broadband connection might tie in with a current "hot topic". I'll have to remember to Sky+ and series link the BBC Ten O'Clock News!

gogetadanson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rossendale LYCROS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ha Ha Ha. Does that mean im breaking the terms and condition by dropping me noise margin to get some more speed. If I am so be it, Id be on cable right now if I could get it.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

That would seem to be the case, but I doubt Sky would ever be able to make any kind of issue out of it, what with the T&C's appearing to have been written by a year 10 kid on work experience.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Now considering that UKOnline, BT etc all say if you want to use your own router that ithey won't cover that equipment for technical support, this whole obsession with sky to keep us using these routers is laughable.

I can't see any of these routers being able to support VOIP or video on demand anyways and without a little stability from the v1 I wouldn't even want to try and watch a 2+ hour movie on download just in case the router needed rebooting halfway through.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast