Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Breaking the Terms and Conditions - Your Views Welcome

This is a discussion on Breaking the Terms and Conditions - Your Views Welcome within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Or more's the point, how I can bear to stay with Sky Broadband. And frankly that's it. I've been pushed ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: crc errors

Or more's the point, how I can bear to stay with Sky Broadband. And frankly that's it. I've been pushed too far. All the things I've done have been motivated solely by the desire to make being a Sky Broadband customer a better experience for both myself and others. If Sky are unhappy about that, then "fudge" 'em. I'm looking for a new ISP.

Oh and a quick heads up to anyone in Sky Public Relations, I'm going public on the security flaw on the V1 router, so get your act together, because there's going to be a fair bit of brown stuff flying in your direction pretty soon.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I think how its used determines whether you break the t&c's. I see no harm in using it to view error levels. Lets face it, many users have and addressed the problem - usually internal wiring. This may well have prevented many calls to sky and the avoidance of unneccessary caps.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

i agree totally with what you are saying but i was just informing levineg that there are risks involved in changing settings i apoligise if i have made anyone angry over this because personally i do not care about skys rules.

Thanks

np - i'm not angry

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well I am (angry, that is). I hadn't even read the particular part of the Terms and Conditions. I had assumed, perhaps naively, perhaps understandably, that the section entitled "Your Wireless Router" listed all the restrictions on router use. But it now seems that isn't the whole picture. There's me thinking that I was doing my best to keep within the T&C's, but now it appears that I was not.

And the cheek, the damned cheek of Sky to put these haughty instructions on what I can and cannot do with my own property, whilst they urinate all over the licence terms of the firmware on that router is an outrage.

• Two weeks without a router when I first signed up, with repeated incorrect assertions that the router had been dispatched when it hadn't.
      • Forcing me to use a router which has flawed software and telling me the bare-faced lie that it was my line and how it needed to be capped
      • Their hypocritical assertion about what I can and can't do with the firmware on the router when they are basically IP thieves
      • The wholy inadequate response to the revelation that the V1 router is dispatched in a unsecured state, most likely leaving a huge proportion of the 1 million routers open to all manner of crime

No, I've had it with Sky. I've absolutely had it with them. They've picked the wrong person to hack off, I can tell you.

djkemp1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

in regards to forcing you to use their router, yes this is the case however i think i read somewhere that this goes against what the EU says. and if they started to kick people off for using their own router i think it may cause uproar with a lot of people and attract the wrong sot of attention with people higher up, do you not think?

i use my own router as the sky netgear router is just useless, it has wireless yes but it doesn't work as it should, i get fluctuations all the time with the speed i receive going from 600kb to 3800kb when using the wireless devices, however with my router i use now i get a constant 3800kb all the time. as well as this as mentioned before there are a lot of security flaws etc and upnp problems. what other companies say is that you are able to use your own equipment but they will be unable to help technically if anything goes wrong, which is fair enough. i just don't see how and why they are trying to force people to use 'dud' routers.

what does everyone else think?

Thanks

They want you to use their router because they have future plans for internet tv / movies etc. A service I for 1 wont be interested in.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

well i think the reason that they make you use there router is to make the tech support job easier as then they only have to support one router

Thanks

Which one would that be then ? the netgear V1, V2 or the sagem
      Tho I do agree with what you say I still think there are future plans which need one of the above routers to work.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVSEF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Asus DSL-N55U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

think he meant one set of settings...or that's how i'd take it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast