Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Losing connection and need help!!

This is a discussion on Losing connection and need help!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, newbie here and wondering of someone could help before I pull all my hair out and go bankrupt phoning ...

Miss K is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Losing connection and need help!!

Hello, newbie here and wondering of someone could help before I pull all my hair out and go bankrupt phoning Sky!!!!

Have had Sky package for about 6 months (after 2 and a half very happy years with Virgin) and have since day one had problems with intermittent losing connection.

I just need assistance with the filters I think despite the fact I have it set up the same way I had it with Virgin in my old house and had no problems, it seems to be (according to Sky) the problem.
      Okay...

Main phone line is in hall so I have a filter in it and then there is an extension cable running under the flooring to the living room where the Sky box and phone is - no problems. Phone line is good.

I have my PC in my bedroom and this is where the problems start. There is a phone box in my room but I don't want the PC right beside it so there is a small extension cable (3 feet or so) to the PC. So basically the set up is - phone box with no filter and extension cable and then filter and then plugged into modem. Is this right? It's just if I put a filter on the phone box then where do I plug the modem into?
      Sky have suggested that I have the modem in my hall (main phone box) and when I queried how the ethernet cable was going to get to PC she suggested buying an extension ethernet but who wants a bright yellow cable running through their house and surely in this day and age it is possible to have your PC in a different room to your main phone box?
      Their other suggestion was to go wireless but I'm not keen on this and as I have a desktop they were unsure how to check if I was wireless enabled (PC 10 months old).

I also have my old router from Virgin which I had no problems with - am I allowed to use this or not?

I am this close to telling them that I am going back to Virgin but that would mean paying for a broadband service with Virgin and my TV with Sky (not in a cabled area) and according to the woman at Sky, "I am so close to my exchange it is scary" so I don't see why I should need another ISP provider.

And finally...am I on my own here or do other people lose their connection to "error code 300".

I know this is lots I am asking but would be very grateful for any help.

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Losing connection and need help!!

Just to say as well.

Have had a read round the forum and changed the DNS....am not sure if this is going to help my case but here's hoping!!!!!

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It would help if you could post your router stats so we can see the line condition etc.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It that the page that first comes in when you go to the 192.168.0.1 page? Has "Router Status" at the top?

Just clicked on the link and think this is what you mean.....(hopefully she says!!!)

System Up Time 07:42:59
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 41926 61857 0 300 3295 06:09:57
      LAN 10M/100M 85643 58378 0 3688 386 07:42:57
      WLAN 11M/54M 880 0 0 8 0 07:42:48

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 20.0 db 14.0 db
      Noise Margin 12.8 db 13.0 db
      Last edited by Miss K; 09-02-08 at 11:20 PM. Reason: More info

Thanks

Yes, that's them, the simple stats anyway.

Your profile says you are on Base, but the stats show you are on Mid and yes, very close to your exchange!

You are connecting at the Max speed for Mid (8096 kbps) with a fairly healthy noise margin so difficult to see any problem there.

I think the answer is probably in your wiring. Try first of all swapping ADSL filters around in case one of those is faulty. There should have been 3 with your router so you have a spare?

If this doesn't work, can you get the router to the master (or test) socket and try it there, perhaps posting stats again?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you for quick response....and to be honest I didn't really pay much attention when registering myself hence the base/mid issue!!

Yes I did get 3 from Sky and I still have the 2 old ones from the old house so will do as you suggest. So am assuming that the way I have them set up is okay then?

I will change them round and then tomorrow I will plug the bedroom extension cable in to the main phone point and post stats again.

Good to know that I wasn't actually being white washed by the 'whole close to the exchange' comment though!!!!

Many thanks again....honestly, have been banging my head off a brick wall!!! It's driving me mad as I can do a whole load of work and then it will just lose connection - sometimes a few minutes or sometimes a couple of hours but it means all the work I have done is lost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miss K View Post
      I will change them round and then tomorrow I will plug the bedroom extension cable in to the main phone point and post stats again.
      How long is that extension cable? If it is long enough to reach that far it might just be too long and picking up interference.

If you have to use extension cables with broadband it really is best to keep them as short as possible.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's not that long...to run the extension cable from the hall to my room I would need a different one. The hall box is more or less just out my bedroom door so if it would solve all my problems then I wouldn't mind about having to run a cable from the hall to my room but if I can get away with using the bedroom one then all the better really.

I shall put up the stats tomorrow and you can tell me what you think. Have changed the filter on the PC to an old Virgin (speedtouch) one that I used to use so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

but who wants a bright yellow cable running through their house
      Just a small point, you were given good advice actually, when you were told to run the ethernet cable from the router plugged in to the main socket. Ethernet cables are not all yellow, they come in all colours and varying lengths. Have a look HERE for colours to match any décor.

An ADSL Nation faceplate would also be advisable as this would isolate your extensions. Although if you only have plug in extensions, there is not a great deal of advantage.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Okay...so changing the filter made no difference as I still lost connection at some point today.

And then I ran an extension cable from main point through to bedroom and I couldn't get connected at all!!! Am assuming that it is because there is a filter in that box and then there had to be one at the PC for modem to be plugged into...one too many filters spoils the connection methinks!!!

I have had a look at the box in the hall and it doesn't have the line in the middle of it (spent quite some time reading the forum last night!) and in fact neither do any of the boxes (there is a box in each room in my house apart from the living room and bathroom) but Sky have assured me that the box in the hall will be the main one.

However Isitme, I didn't realise that ethernet cables came in different colours and even to me it would make sense to have the modem plugged directly into the main point so I think my next thing to try is to buy a ethernet cable and run it from the hall to my room (a distance of 5 metres I think). I guess I am just annoyed really that I didn't have all these problems with Virgin. I ran an extension cable in my old house of just under 10 metres and I didn't have a single loss of connection - not once.

So my next plan is to get an ethernet and hopefully that will solve problems (unless someone else thinks of something for me!!!)

Thank you both for all your help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast