Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Losing connection and need help!!

This is a discussion on Losing connection and need help!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; More stats....as the PC is in my bedroom then I can't ever have it on for 24 hours (need to ...

Miss K is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Losing connection and need help!!

More stats....as the PC is in my bedroom then I can't ever have it on for 24 hours (need to sleep!!) but the PC has been on for a while today.
      I have still not lost connection since I altered the DNS - yah says me!! If I was being really picky - and I mean REALLY picky - then I would say that the things are a tad slower at the 'danger times' when I used to always lose connection (tea-time, this time of night, midnight...that kind of thing) but I'm talking a few seconds slower and who is not to say that the connection was slower at that time anyway? I would never know as I would always lose the sodding connection!!! My face would be purple with the very cheery "oops, we can't show that page"!!! Also as well I can leave the PC on all the time and pop back whenever I want and the connection is still there. Another prob I had would be that if I left for a few hours and went back there was no connection and I had to turn the PC off at the wall etc.....

So am v happy. In the whole time I have had the broadband with Sky, this is the longest period that I have went without losing connection at some point. Clearly I will keep an eye on things and keep you posted. Hopefully for me a simple thing has sorted my problem out
      /usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 416 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8096 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 12.6 14.0
      Attn(dB): 20.0 14.0
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 0.8
      Max(Kbps): 10176 1248
      Rate (Kbps): 8096 416
      G.dmt framing
      K: 254(0) 14
      R: 12 16
      S: 1 16
      D: 64 2
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 254 14
      M: 1 16
      T: 1 1
      R: 12 16
      S: 1.0470 17.0666
      L: 2040 120
      D: 64 2
      Counters
      SF: 1857681 1857679
      SFErr: 3 0
      RS: 252644664 7895135
      RSCorr: 3556 0
      RSUnCorr: 10 0

HEC: 1 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 603021940 0
      Data Cells: 1213574 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 3 0
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 22 0
      Total time = 8 hours 46 min 55 sec
      SF = 1857681
      CRC = 3
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 3
      Latest 1 day time = 8 hours 46 min 55 sec
      SF = 1857681
      CRC = 3
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 3
      Latest 15 minutes time = 1 min 55 sec
      SF = 6764
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52989
      CRC = 1
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

3 CRC errors in 8 hours! Those stats are about as good as you can get. You are connecting at the full 8 mbps with a healthy noise margin so I would not be expecting disconnections unless you have some really odd electrical interference.

Looks like the DNS change worked for you. I also use OpenDNS like many members here.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yah...that's good to know then!! I did actually check last night and I am only 780 metres from the exchange!!!!

As you say the DNS change has helped...would you mind awfully if I asked you to explain what it is and how the change has helped? Just for curiousity purposes really!!!

D_TOX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miss K View Post
      Yah...that's good to know then!! I did actually check last night and I am only 780 metres from the exchange!!!!

As you say the DNS change has helped...would you mind awfully if I asked you to explain what it is and how the change has helped? Just for curiousity purposes really!!!

Miss K! I am experiencing the exact same problems you were. In fact, i came hear to revive my old thread on the issue, since i thought i had quelled it. Unfortunately not.

My internet will randomly cut out, sometimes only 10 minutes after a reset, it would happen MULTIPLE times a day, almost like, every 30 minutes to every 2 hours, its the most frustrating thing EVER! It sounds like you have a similar setup to me, however, you have less noise on your line. Either way i don't think thats the problem, since this has only started happening in November, i've just been putting up with it.

Anyway, it sounds like the 'DNS' alteration you made in the router helped! Can you tell me what you did so i can try it too? As much detail as poss would help since im a newbie to this stuff too!

Thanks bud.

Thanks

It stands for Domain Name Server. Think of it as like an Internet Telephone Directory. You type in "www.bbc.co.uk" and your DNS server looks this up to be IP address 212.58.224.131 and takes you there.

The Sky ones are by all accounts a bit slow, where as the OpenDNS ones are pretty quick - so you get to your web page faster.
      Last edited by eyemdee; 15-02-08 at 12:41 AM. Reason: removed URL for clarity!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yup...totally empathise with you...I have actually sat and cried through sheer frustration sometimes as I kept losing connection very often like you...I was on the phone to Sky once for 7 minutes and lost connection 5 times whilst on the phone.....but as I say, this has worked a treat so I keep my fingers crossed for you

Here is the link for the tutorial I used...now I have Windows Vista so this is the link for Vista but if you have XP then an sure there will be a link following on from that link (you follow???!!!)

Altering DNS Server configuration on Windows Vista Tutorial Added - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

Good Luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D_TOX View Post
      Anyway, it sounds like the 'DNS' alteration you made in the router helped! Can you tell me what you did so i can try it too? As much detail as poss would help since im a newbie to this stuff too!

Thanks bud.
      It's all explained here! Just change the DNS settings in your PC to OpenDNS and see if it helps.

EDIT: Sorry - Miss K beat me to it!!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      It stands for Domain Name Server. Think of it as like an Internet Telephone Directory. You type in "www.bbc.co.uk" and your DNS server looks this up to be IP address 212.58.224.131 and takes you there.

The Sky ones are by all accounts a bit slow, where as the OpenDNS ones are pretty quick - so you get to your web page faster.

I see...thanks for that! As I say, I'm just so happy it works but was curious to know WHY it was working!!!

D_TOX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yup...totally empathise with you...I have actually sat and cried through sheer frustration sometimes as I kept losing connection very often like you...I was on the phone to Sky once for 7 minutes and lost connection 5 times whilst on the phone.....but as I say, this has worked a treat so I keep my fingers crossed for you

Here is the link for the tutorial I used...now I have Windows Vista so this is the link for Vista but if you have XP then an sure there will be a link following on from that link (you follow???!!!)

Altering DNS Server configuration on Windows Vista Tutorial Added - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

Good Luck!
      Hmm, im on XP, anywhere i can get the XP tutorial? Cant find it.

Thanks a bunch Miss K and eyemdee

EDIT: Sorry didnt see your link Eyemdee. So its just a matter of changing the DNS server address? I don't see what that would have to do with the internet blocking/ cutting me out? Very strange. Any ideas you experts? I haven't tried it yet, i dunno, seems futile, but Miss K is reporting good things. Can anyone shed some light on that?

Thanks a lot.
      Last edited by D_TOX; 15-02-08 at 01:20 AM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was like you D-Tox and didn't think such a simple thing could make such a massive difference but it has - surely worth a try anyway?

The way I think it is worked (and I am by no means a PC buff so could be completely off the mark here) is that the Sky servers are so slow so when we click on to go to a page or submit something, instead of the page getting changed to a address it just packs in - hence the loss of connection.
      Changing the server means the pages are getting changed more or less immediately so therefore there is no 'delay' in the address and so therefore no loss of connection.....

As I say I am just picking up on what I have read on the forum...maybe I am totally wrong and if so then someone could correct me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast