Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Other email accounts and Sky

This is a discussion on Other email accounts and Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Having just had my local ISP (Legend PLC) 'cease' my broadband services I had to go forth and find another. ...

Mad Professor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01524
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Other email accounts and Sky

Having just had my local ISP (Legend PLC) 'cease' my broadband services I had to go forth and find another. I opted for the Sky Max package and have since enjoyed pretty quick download etc. etc. There is one thing, however, that pigged me of from word one and that is although I have my own domain, with it's own email address - there was no way that I could send outgoing mail through Sky broadband via my MS Office Outlook! Receive yes, send no, I had to log into my Web mail to do so - not professional or convenient as I handled everything via my Office programmes.

So I contacted Sky, went through the rigmarole of POP and SMTP adjustments to no avail - no one could help me. Today, along with some friends of mine we camped on their phones for over 2.5 hours to get someone to answer me the question why it didn't work! Eventually talking to a nice bloke at the end of our tethers, he admitted that it isn't possible as Sky considers ALL mail without a 'Sky' address to be Spam and therefore blocks it on their outgoing server!! Now, I've heard of captive marketing but this takes the biscuit!

Using Sky's broadband services you can only send mail via a Web mail programme, OR via a 'sky-mail' address! My question is, is this permissible or are they breaking competition rules? The only suggestion that they make is that one signs up for a service to route one's email through......

Ethical?

*Starts looking again for a broadband supplier*

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Other email accounts and Sky

I don't think that competition regulators have yet reached the point where such matters are even considered, let alone ruled legal or not. And to be honest, I think it very unlikely that Sky's position would be considered unlawful or detrimental to competition. It's a bit like saying that it's anticompetitive for Parcelforce not to collect your parcels that you're sending through CityLink.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You only have to pay for a third party to provide your SMTP service. I use dyndns.org mail hop service. It costs me 15dollars per year for upto 150 mails per day.
      There is no p in Thomson.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Professor View Post
      Eventually talking to a nice bloke at the end of our tethers, he admitted that it isn't possible as Sky considers ALL mail without a 'Sky' address to be Spam and therefore blocks it on their outgoing server!!
      You really shouldn't believe what sky people tell you on the phone. They will say anything just to get rid of you.

It is perfectly possible to send email via the skoogle SMTP server with a non-sky address. It will just add a "sender" field with your sky address so that spam blockers at the other end don't reject your email.

See HERE .