Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice on speed

This is a discussion on Advice on speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have just been connected on max having left Bulldog. The first day i was connected i was getting ...

cubwolf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylestone
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Advice on speed

Hi
      I have just been connected on max having left Bulldog.
      The first day i was connected i was getting around 8 meg and 768kps uploads.
      I thought i would get more than this as i am not that far from the exchange.
      I thought i maybe wasnt on adsl2 so called sky and got through to Tier 2.
      He did some tests and said my line cant take more than 8 meg but the figures suggest otherwise from what i have read.
      Since this call my upload speed has dropped??
      I only came to sky for the higher speeds and that was only after consulting various sites who all seem to suggest i should get between 12 and 16 meg.
      These are the stats from my router.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8160 kbps 160 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29 db 7.5 db
      Noise Margin 15 db 7 db

What do you think??
      Dave

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Advice on speed

Are you plugged in to the Test socket, or if you don't have one, the Master socket?

Don't use a phone extension.

If you are lucky, your extensions may be causing excess noise on the line, eliminate that and you may have a chance of getting on to ADSL2+.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes its in the master socket

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cubwolf View Post
      What do you think??
      Your stats appear to show that your connection has been capped, hence your high noise margin. If so then using the test socket, no extension etc will have no impact on the sync. If it had an impact it would be to the noise margin i.e. improved connection quality = higher noise margin not sync when capped.

Without access to your detailed stats it is impossible to see whether your line is generating errors, which would be the only reasonable justification for Sky saying your line could only take 8meg i.e. they have capped it at that speed to keep the errors down to an acceptable level. As I think you know, your attenuation would certainly support far more than 8meg if the line is relatively quiet. Unfortunately, presumably you have one of the new routers and those detailed stats are not accessible to the user. Sky CST will be able to see them though, if there are any that is.

Personally I think you may have been fobbed off. I'd suggest you call back and hopefully get through to a more helpful CST (T1 will be of no use) and discuss exactly why your line has been capped. Unless you're told your line errors are too high to allow more then don't accept their excuses. Your noise margin is very high. If you're getting serious errors at that level then it would be very unusual.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Saturday wrote
      I'd suggest you call back and hopefully get through to a more helpful CST (T1 will be of no use) and discuss exactly why your line has been capped. Unless you're told your line errors are too high to allow more then don't accept their excuses. Your noise margin is very high. If you're getting serious errors at that level then it would be very unusual.
      I would still advise plugging into your Test socket when you phone, assuming you have one, if your noise margin rises even further, then that indicates faults in the internal wiring which could have caused the original cap. With a high margin and reasonable low attenuation, your line should be capable of supporting ADSL2+. Good luck!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the replys everyone.
      I will have another go at them and let you know how i get on.

Thanks

Had a promising sounding reply..

"Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.
      I can confirm that you should be able to receive more than you currently are, as your line should support speeds of 13mbps. However your line is capped to 8160kbps. I will be able to arrange for your line to be uncapped, but before doing this we need to ensure that your setup is correct. This will allow us to provide the fastest speed possible.
      1. Change the microfilter the Sky Broadband Box is connected to.
      2. Remove any telephone extension cables.
      3. Plug your microfilter into the master socket. Your master socket is the point where your phone line enters your house. It is normally near a front or back door or in a hall way.
      4. Remove any devices that are connected to the phone line e.g. fax machines, digiboxes, cordless phones etc.
      5. Connect the Sky Broadband Box to your computer via the yellow Ethernet cable if possible .
      6. C heck whether you have a horizontal line across the centre of your master socket face plate. If you do, then unscrew the two small screws on the front and remove the face plate
      7. Connect a microfilter to the test socket located on the left hand side behind the section you removed.
      8. Connect the broadband box into the microfilter via the grey telephone cable .
      9. If this resolves the issue then you are likely to have a faulty master socket and you should contact BT for further help.
      I trust this helps however should yo u continue to experience technical difficulties, please reply to this email or call us on 08705 515 515. Lines are open 24 hours a day. "

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

i would advise you to check samknows website as that is what i use at work and find it very reliable