Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fire Alarm Systems & ADSL?

This is a discussion on Fire Alarm Systems & ADSL? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is it not true that most alarm systems before 2003 did not always need to have an ADSL filter fitted ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Fire Alarm Systems & ADSL?

Is it not true that most alarm systems before 2003 did not always need to have an ADSL filter fitted as mandatory though?
      You a correct in that Redcare systems fitted before 2003 were not compatible with broadband. However I doubt if it applies in your case, as the line would probably have been rejected for ADSL during the initial test, due to an incompatible product.

Northwest Fire & Security, CCTV, Alarms intruder systems, Cameras, door entry systems, cctv installation

If you are on an up to 8mb service you should contact AOhelL and ask them why you are capped so heavily.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool Re: Fire Alarm Systems & ADSL?

Thanks for your answer.

But to be quite honest even though I'm on a 2megs product (and not 8megs) AOL are not worth spending any more money on phone-wise. When all I need to do is move to SKY Mid or Max.

I don't fancy fighting it out with AOL when I could just dump them.

I'd rather see what speeds I get on SKY and go on from there.

I hope to get SKY BB in little more than 2 weeks. Then I will not hesistate to put my new stats up here and have a wee chat about them. So fingers crossed.

I shouldn't really wait too long. People are taking up SKY BB at quite some rate and I dont want to find they've run out of space and put me on Connect while they get more LLU space.

Better get my skates on.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With an attenuation of 14, you must be very close to the exchange and should expect something in the region of 16 mb, provided your line is in reasonable condition.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm about a 10-15minute walk away from the exchange in a direct walk.
      I was previously told my slow speeds were due to a long line in a new build (i.e: last thing built with a long line going round lots of other house before it got to the exchange). And of course it's more likely to be my provider capping my speeds.

Since visiting here I know that I'm lucky the line length doesn't seem to be that much longer than the distance given by samknows (as the crow flies). And that's a rare thing. Turns out the new build I'm in must have a pretty direct outside line than I originally gave it credit for.

And for that I'm thankful.

Isitme it's your opinion I've added to what others have told me it seems I could get 16megs. I will probably go for that. As long as it's stable.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you could always start with Mid and move up if need be...up tbh but you should see 16Mbps stable if the line is as good as it looks...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12