Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Router Opinions please?

This is a discussion on Router Opinions please? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by richone54 ^^^ how would you market it ? No company would market any product and highlight its ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router Opinions please?

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      ^^^ how would you market it ?
      No company would market any product and highlight its deficiences. Hide them in the small print yes. Unfortunately thats the way of the world we live in.

2. Advertisement
      Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      No, no, no, that's an assertion that I'm not going to let you get away with. If your connection is stable, it will be because of one or more of these three reasons: (1) your attenuation is very low, resulting in you having a noise margin which is significantly better than 7dB, (2) you've been capped, again resulting in a more healthy noise margin or (3) your phone line's transmission characteristics don't vary a great deal over the 24-hour cycle.

I put a lot of effort into investigating the problems I had with the Sky DG834GT router, and I can say with absolutely certainty that the firmware on that router is flawed, and specifically, the router doesn't perform bit swapping properly. The consequence of that is that any line which has characteristics that make any significant demands on the routers bit swapping functionality, will have problems. Nothing at all to do with anybody fiddling with their router or not.

Yes Yes Yes! It's a fact! I've been on SKy over a year and NOT ONE problem. My attenuation for your information is 53db and with regards to being capped, i`m not and my noise margin is around the 7-7.4db level. I've seen posts here from people NOT even on sky yet saying as soon as they get their router they're switching UpNp off because they've read posts saying 'switch it off, it doesn't work'? Why on earth do it if you have no idea if you will have a stable connection or not before you`ve tried it?
      Also, i don't try to force my connection to it's 'maximum'. I've tried using the 'test' socket and can get another 2 meg speed but as far as i`m concerned i already have 6 times the speed i had with freeserve/Orange at 17.99 a month, "if" i was paying for Sky i'd be paying 10 so i would already be a 'winner'.
      I'm all with the other other posters here who say 'some' people only see the magic figure of 16 meg and not speeds UP TO 16 meg.
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have no doubt that you - and probably many others - have perfectly stable connections. What I can't accept was you saying…
      Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
      V1 router since day one, no problems cause i didnt try to fix things that weren't broke.
      The reason why you have a stable connection is entirely down to the transmission characteristics of your phone line. It is most definitely NOT because you have chosen not to "fix things that weren't broke".

And this thing about people forcing their connections to their maximum - it's just plain ridiculous. An ADSL modem will negotiate the fastest speed it can, limited by (a) the maximum sync speed set at the exchange end and (b) the target noise margin. If your modem normally negotiates a speed which is 2Mbit/sec slower than when you plug the modem into the test socket, it doesn't mean that the modem is being worked less hard and so is more reliable, it because you extension wiring is introducing additional attenuation and additional noise, such that it can only achieve the target noise margin by synchronising at a slower speed.

And quite frankly, I resent the assertion that my ADSL reliability problems are down to me fiddling ignorantly with my router. So stop kidding yourself that things are fine for you because of anything that you've done.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

how about just accept that his connection has been fine and a lot of others aren't and agree to differ?...lol
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

>And quite frankly, I resent the assertion that my ADSL reliability problems are down to me fiddling ignorantly with my router. So stop kidding yourself that things are fine for you because of anything that you've done.<

Haven't said i had done anything, and i didn't say you had fiddled ignorantly with your router, just the opposite in fact, what i did say was, since day 1 i have done nothing except plug in and surf without any problems, hence i haven't tried to fix anything that wasn't broke. "some" seem to have problems, and "some" like myself and others have no problems. Maybe we're just plain lucky?

Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      how about just accept that his connection has been fine and a lot of others aren't and agree to differ?...lol
      I haven't at any point said anything to the contrary.

Thanks

>And quite frankly, I resent the assertion that my ADSL reliability problems are down to me fiddling ignorantly with my router. So stop kidding yourself that things are fine for you because of anything that you've done.<

Did someone say you fiddled ignorantly with your router?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Please fellows Lets not fall out over this. This whole ADSL thing is so line and internal wiring dependent that it is impossible to come to any firm conculsions when comparing the performance of two identical routers on differant lines (in fairness James has said this) Where People have the choice of router, some will swear by a Speedtouch, others a BT 2-wire and some even a BT Home Hub! All are good routers so the differance is down to users and their lines.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

^^^^surely were all friends so lets agree to disagree and not fall out

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123