Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Router Opinions please?

This is a discussion on Router Opinions please? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Russ V1 router since day one, no problems cause i didnt try to fix things that weren't ...

murdock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Router Opinions please?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
      V1 router since day one, no problems cause i didnt try to fix things that weren't broke.

Similar experience to mine.

After a horrific experience at AOL who bullied people to upgrade a
      router they supplied.
      At least AOL allowed some of us to decline and not crash.
      I left AOL, and have had 16 months great internet service from Sky.
      Twice as fast at half the price.

My VI also worked immediately out of the box with Sky Max.
      But I did do the following after advice given on this site about
      18 months ago.

I am only hard wired connected.
      Wireless is turned off.
      I have changed my password.
      upnp is turned off.
      I did not use the Sky software.
      I did not use Sky email.
      I did not load McCrappy.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

ditto, apart from I have wireless & upnp on.
      oh and i wasnt with aohell

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Hi again all

I don't post a lot in this forum mainly because I don't have any problems. I do, avidly, read the forum though because everything written here is interesting and very very informative (except Murdoch's stuff thats just mostly very very amusing and good to read on bad days.) I usually read the posts twice a day every day.

I also am getting on in years, 57 at the last count, but since May 2007 when I was first connected I have had very very few problems with my Sky broadband and have never rung tech support. I don't actually use the router that Sky sent me but not because I had any particular problems with it but because in the original firmware that sky had on their routers I was unable to block web sites and that is a very neccessary requirement for me. I run a computer club for the kids of the village that I live in and have done so for 12 years or so. Before you all ask, yes I have had all the police checks done. I have had an enhanced CRB check done and am police cleared to work with "vulnerable people" in the area where I live. I also work as a IT technician in a large local high school where I and 2 other teckies look after 450 computers and 8 servers. anyway thats a slight digression from the point of my post.

As I was saying I have had very few problems with my broadband connection. I was with Freeserve prior to moving over to Sky. I came home on the day that Sky said I would go over to their broadband and I couldn't connect to Freeserve so I connected up my spanking brand new router and away it went. I had a couple of disconnections for the first few days, literally 3 or 4 days only, but I had already been told about the "learning" phase of the router so I was prepared for that. After that it was as stable as a rock and has been ever since.

I run 5 desktop computers on a wire via a switch to my router and my wife and I have a laptop each which are both wirelesly connected. The kids play online games such as World Of Warcraft and Rakion without any problems whatsoever. Most nights all the computers are connected to the internet and it all works without a glitch.

Talking about routers, and I have posted about this in the past, I have found that the Netgear 108 MBps (gt suffix) does or did suffer from a overheating problem. I had one of these routers a few years ago and it did suffer from dropouts when it got hot and by eck it did get hot. I use the 54 g one and that has been stable through my freeserve days and now through my Sky time. I would like to use the Sky router again because from what I can gather from this forum the "block sites" function has now been re-established with newer firmware from Sky and there is some new firmware about to be sent over the etherwaves to make it even better (however don't hold your breath on that.) Unfortunately when I got my sky router I did "hack" it and put it back to the original Netgear firmware. Although Sky were very prompt in sending me the router, well before my connection date, they omitted to send me the CD rom with the router. Now to be fair I would not have used anything on the CD but it does have a copy of the original Sky firmware on it, for router recovery purposes, that I now need to put my sky router back to as it was. I am also acutely aware that I am breaking Sky's T&Cs by using my own router. Having said that when I got my router I did ring sky and ask them if I could use my own router and I was told I could. I also asked them if they wanted their router back and was actually told "No sell it on EBay" something that other posters in this forum have reported on. I didn't sell it and I still have it although as I said it's hacked. That all happened before I even read their T&Cs, gads who the hell reads T&Cs anyway even though we all should.

I think that the biggest problem with anything Sky and especially their broadband is the technical support and technical support's seemingly lack of knowledge. I will agree with one of the posters in this thread that ADSL technology is at best working at the very edge of not working at all but that is not our (consumers) problem. I also concede that as we get faster and faster broadband then problems that would not affect a slower connection become compounded. At the end of the day though Sky or any other ISP sell this product to all and sundry not just technically minded people and we just want it to work. I will also concede that Sky have 1.5 million customers (correct me if I'm wrong on that figure but it is a huge number of people ) using their broadband and only a handful get problems. Even if you say that everyone on this forum, coming up to 20,000, are all having problems with Sky broadband, and they are not because some post about Sky telly stuff, that is a small number of people using Sky broadband actually having problems overall.

Even so all that is irrelevant to those people who are having problems and I do think that there is a real lack of sympathy from Sky broadband technical support, and indeed from some using this forum, and a very noticeable lack of knowledge from Sky support, although to be fair telephone support is very difficult at best, towards those having problems with their broadband connections. From what I have read on this forum some of the ways that people are actually dealt with by various Sky departments borders on the unbelievable. Sky have to get their act together with the way they deal with their customers. Without them Sky are nothing. I also believe that any ISP who offers high speed broadband should be much more transparent in telling it's customers what we can and cannot expect from this very new and very unstable technology that they are trying to sell. Yes I know commercially that would probably be suicide but I for one am tired of having the wool pulled over my eyes by lots of companies trying to sell me services that do not live up to my expectations or their sales blurbs.

In conclusion (bet your all glad of that LOL) Sky does need to get it's act together. All Internet Service Providers either have to get a good, stable and fast broadband BEFORE they sell it as a consumer product or they have to tell their customers of the probable severe limitations that may accompany the product. I'm afraid the "Up to" cop out, and that is exactly what it is, is just not good enough. Oh and about the club it is not a commercial operation. Noone pays to use it it's just something I do to try to keep some kids off the streets here in the village where I live so I'm not breaking Sky's T&Cs on that. Anyone interested in that aspect of my life can visit my web site MY PAGES That is also a bit of a read I'm afraid.

Regards all and thanks for a brilliant forum you guys.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

thats a very long post but it is a good read.

on this point
      I'm afraid the "Up to" cop out, and that is exactly what it is, is just not good enough
      what would be the answer to this ?

i was told by sky when i connected that i would only get 5meg (as i had never had BB before sounded great to me), i had problems in the begining with connection and speed, i spoke to T1 and got frustrated, but in that time i am not sure i ever really listened to what they said, if i had, then my telephone extention would have been thrown out alot earlier. i now get 7meg which is nearly 50% better than i was told

Thanks

Hi Rich One

I really do not know what the answer to that is. As I said I think the ISPs, all of them, should be a lot more tranparent with their potential cutomers. I'm not selling the products they are. As I also said that would probably be commercial suicide but more and more people are complaining about various services being offered to them at present so by that criteria alone companies should be more up front with consumers.

I gotta go to bed now I got 1200 kids and 450 computers to keep going tomorrow. Well me and 2 others have anyway and thats not to mention the teachers. I'll have a gander in here tomorrow night over a few tinnies.

Thanks

pete - thats an excellent post and i agree with everything youve said apart from the lack of sympathy from members of this forum. I've been here from almost day 1 and will agree that some members say it how it is. However those same members have contributed many stickies, posts etc that outline all the points youve made. Unfortunately, people tend to be sucked in by the "16meg for a 10" without properly researching the subject. Thats not the fault of the members of this forum.

Thanks

Hi Dholdi

Unfortunately, people tend to be sucked in by the "16meg for a 10" without properly researching the subject. Thats not the fault of the members of this forum.

UUMM at no point in my post did I say or imply that it was the fault of anyone in this forum. What I did say was that some, and I stress some, are not particularly sympathetic when answering posts in here. It cannot be the fault of anyone in this forum if people are "sucked" in by "16meg for 10" but it is most definetly the fault of the ISPs, all of them, for deliberately "sucking" people in with less than transparent offers and not only ISPs I have to add. A goodly number of commercial enterprises, not the least of which are mobile phone companies, "suck" a lot customers in with promises of services that just don't happen. As for "researching" claims. An awful lot of customers would not know where to start "researching" that sort of thing and that's exactly my point about the "lack of tranparency". I could go on about banks, mortgage lenders, insurance companies etc etc et al but I wont.

See ya tomorrow night. Gnight all

Thanks

Pete, no I know you didnt and I didnt mean to imply that you had. This site is an excellent place for researching the subject.
      Look forward to chatting again.
      We will be having a few tins tomorrow as well.

blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

The big problem is that when something is marketed as an "upto 16mb product" all that people see (as demonstrated with the emboldening here) is the 16mb bit not the upto bit which, is in fact, the important part. Its down to the way products are marketed - they do the same with shops charging something and 99p, you dont notice that its only a penny off the next pound. To this end I suggest all marketing depts should be shot :P

vodkas all the way tonight

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

^^^ how would you market it ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast