Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Help please, less than a meg

This is a discussion on Help please, less than a meg within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I think the Satellite comment was not meant to be taken too seriously. For one thing unless you are a ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help please, less than a meg

I think the Satellite comment was not meant to be taken too seriously. For one thing unless you are a very big lottery winner, the cost is prohibitive and for another, your maximum speed would be 2mb.

AVC Broadband :: 2-way Satellite Broadband

Brian's advice in his post #15 is probably the best you will get.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I have the same att figures as yourself, my line length is approx 5.25km and I am on LLU.
      I have been able to obtain a steady sync hovering around the 3200kbps mark with an SNR of around 7db.

To be honest I don't use the Netgear V1 routersm I use my own Speedtouch 585v6 which I feel is way better than Sky's offering. I also have a prefiltered master socket.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi Isitme.
      Yes you are right about Sat BB .
      It's now lunch time and I have just spent the morning with an EU (end user) and their BB probs. As is normal, they were very worried about a big bill, their ISP (not Sky) having told them that nothing could be done about there prob.
      So having assured them that if I could find fault with their line, they would be o.k. This put them at their ease.
      First thing, change the master to give me a test socket.
      Split pair in the drop (there's the line fault). Plug in my laptop and sync increased by 3meg, so we are moving in the right direction, but as i watch the connection dropped.
      There is a radio on in the kitchen and the crackel is almost drowning out the prog "oh it always does that when I am ironing!" said the lady of the house .I could see the penny drop on her partners face.
      Unplug iron, and a rock seady connection resumes. Plug back in and all hell breaks lose, with the connection dropping.
      The lesson in all of this is to check for this sort of thing, you never know. In this case the split pair would not have helped, and the faceplate filter and router relocation put another 1 meg on the speed. The coffee was very nice as well

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Question Re: Help please, less than a meg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Think of it like this.
      (1) You have a long line and high attenuation. No matter what Sky say BT are not going to change your line for free.
      so accept it.
      (2) Get a faceplate filter and put your router close to the master socket, and connect router to filter with as short a cable as you can, You can get 0.5meter ones if that would do.
      (3) If you can for get wireless and connect Via cable or mains network device.
      If money is not too big a problem would it be worth him getting another line installed and specifying it is for ADSL. If the noise on this line is as bad as the first you can be sure that there is little you can do.

If it is better you could than keep this line and remove the existing one, a lot of messing about and you will have to spend some money trying.

wardog365 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0114
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok guys i'm gonna spend all week end trying everything to help, will report back with the outcome, its just hard to except that i am willing to pay a company up to 30 a month for a fast connection but i cant get one, more anoying is that my friend who live on the next street down from me gets around 4.5 @peak times and 5.5 @ off peak.

balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just another option for you to consider...... mobile broadband - from the likes of 3, Vodafone, T-Mobile etc.... They have crap usage limits but may be faster than ADSL.

Also, check if you have a WiMax service in your area.... I'm lucky there is one in mine but it's not that great (speed wise).

balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by balloon View Post
      Just another option for you to consider...... mobile broadband - from the likes of 3, Vodafone, T-Mobile etc.... They have crap usage limits but may be faster than ADSL*.

Also, check if you have a WiMax service in your area.... I'm lucky there is one in mine but it's not that great (speed wise).
      *Faster than ADSL in your case of course........

gogetadanson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rossendale LYCROS
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      thing is though he can get more - and quite comfortably too...just cause the attenuation is the same doesnt mean it actually is...63 is the upper limit so whilst it might read 63 it can be higher in real life...

i reckon 2Mbps easy easily attainable, possibly 2.5Mbps, but without trying we'll never know...
      Are you messing about how can i get more if my attenuation is 63.5 or more with a noise margin of 6.9 to 7.6 on average.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^
      I don't think he was referring to you, but the original poster

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

that noise margin is fine its the attenuation i would worry about the best possible margin is between 7 and 20 so 6.9 to 7.6 is not really that bad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123