Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just signed up - bit of an issue

This is a discussion on Just signed up - bit of an issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I just signed up for max but can only seem to get quite low speeds. My attenuation should ...

HUFCDaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191 581
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just signed up - bit of an issue

Hi all, I just signed up for max but can only seem to get quite low speeds. My attenuation should mean my speeds should be around 8-10mb/s (I think) but my noise margin is really low and I think this is affecting the speed. I'm plugging the router straight into the main socket and have no extensions running from it, I tried the test socket and it's exactly the same. Anyway, enough babbling, here's my stats (not very detailed as I use a v2 router), any advice?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4000 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 0 db 10 db

2. Advertisement
      astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Just signed up - bit of an issue

I doubt very much you will be able to receive anything like 8-10mb/s with your line Line Attenuation of 47 db, more like 4-6mb/s, and your Noise Margin of 0 db indicates your about to lose sync and your router will need a reboot.

Not many router can work with such low noise margins i think sky recommend at least 6 db for a stable connection..

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply

I just came from Virgin and using my old router got attenuation of 43db and noise margin usually settled around 7, this gave me 3.5mb on adsl1

Not sure why there's a jump with the different hardware, it's very confusing! I reset and now the NM has settled at 4, this gives me a sync speed of around 4.2mb, is there no way I can increase the NM on this router or will it settle as I leave the connection on?

Sorry for all the questions, I just get the feeling i've been through an awful lot of hassle for a pretty insignificant speed increase!

astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Rebooting the router around this time of the evening will give you a true NM and a stable connection, if you was to reboot at say 12 noon your speed will increase but once the line becomes prone to noise/external interference your noise margin will drop and once it becomes unstable and lose sync then only a restart of router will allow your connection to work, one of the drawbacks of having a long line...

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again, I reset the router and now the NM has settled at 7 and my speed has set itself at just over 4mb, I'm going to get BT to have a look at my line as it's a bit old inside the house and 1.8 miles (by road) away from my exchange shouldn't be this bad?

Sky won't look at my speeds and downgrade me from max will they? Unlimited downloads are one of the reasons I went for the higher package

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

they'll only cap the line - not change your package...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Forget BT. Unless you have a problem with your telephone, any requests for BB help will have to come through Sky, and as they can do some line checks themselves, They would be very reluctant to pass it to them. BT will not talk to you about BB line performance, you are not their customer for BB. If you do manage to get sky to get BT out to this, then unless they find a fault, you can expect a bill.