Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed, Traffic monitoring and download limits

This is a discussion on Speed, Traffic monitoring and download limits within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi at presant i have a adsl connection provided to me by ADSL24 Broadband - Home that costs me 69.00 ...

smoothop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed, Traffic monitoring and download limits

Hi at presant i have a adsl connection provided to me by ADSL24 Broadband - Home that costs me 69.00 pm. I know that seems alot to alot of you out there but for me this is good.

I Am a media converter which i convert full uncrompressed media footage to different formats. Alot of my work i pull from ftp servers or direct server connections.

Adsl24 sent me an email saying they are no longer providing the unlimeted package at 69 and was going up to 120 per month "TOO MUCH"

I have been with bulldog dsl, virgin.net(adsl), eclypse.net, bt openworld business, vfast.net and other isps. lol

I phoned sky to see what they could offer me. Before i say any more more my Requirments are 350-500gb per month download limits and the usage of SSL

Due to the download size requirements you can see me breaking most of the above isps fair usage policys.

All this was explained to sky and was very help full over the phone. If the operator did not know somthing she would ask her boss or some one that did know. I was told that my requirements would be ok for the 16mb max for 10pm. Seems too good to be true.

It is taking its time to get connected though as i chose to port my line rental over. Its holding things up. So far 4weeks. 14th feb conection date. But im patiant.

Now as im used to paying 69 now gone down to 10 i have this little feeling that all this is one big lie on skys behalf.

If its not then Sky will endevour to be the best ISP around and i for one i will be recomending this service and write letters to the right places to congratulate them for suplying me with a service that 80% of isps can not provide me without caping, traffic monitoring or any kind of restriction.

Also If you work for sky Please listen to my recorded telephone logs as proof of the above. I would gladly provide my infomation if needed. call me sceptic but i wont belive this till i see it.

Lets hope that sky dont brand them selves as beeing liars to promote themselves. buy decivieving the public.

Thank you for Reading

2. Advertisement
      uk-guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cambuslang 0141
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Speed, Traffic monitoring and download limits

something tells me that it may all be a big lie also. 10 for 16mb-250gb-per month download its just too cheap. i think it may be to get customers in then later on raise the price. i think? alot of sky broadband users may also be thinking the same way i think only time will tell if this really is going to be the best new broadband provider or the biggest damp squib of recent times i hope iam wrong i am a heavy downloader of films and media but i dont think it would ever come to 250gb i am watching very carefully

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smoothop View Post
      Hi at presant i have a adsl connection provided to me by ADSL24 Broadband - Home that costs me 69.00 pm. I know that seems alot to alot of you out there but for me this is good.

I Am a media converter which i convert full uncrompressed media footage to different formats. Alot of my work i pull from ftp servers or direct server connections.

Adsl24 sent me an email saying they are no longer providing the unlimeted package at 69 and was going up to 120 per month "TOO MUCH"

I have been with bulldog dsl, virgin.net(adsl), eclypse.net, bt openworld business, vfast.net and other isps. lol

I phoned sky to see what they could offer me. Before i say any more more my Requirments are 350-500gb per month download limits and the usage of SSL

Due to the download size requirements you can see me breaking most of the above isps fair usage policys.

All this was explained to sky and was very help full over the phone. If the operator did not know somthing she would ask her boss or some one that did know. I was told that my requirements would be ok for the 16mb max for 10pm. Seems too good to be true.

It is taking its time to get connected though as i chose to port my line rental over. Its holding things up. So far 4weeks. 14th feb conection date. But im patiant.

Now as im used to paying 69 now gone down to 10 i have this little feeling that all this is one big lie on skys behalf.

If its not then Sky will endevour to be the best ISP around and i for one i will be recomending this service and write letters to the right places to congratulate them for suplying me with a service that 80% of isps can not provide me without caping, traffic monitoring or any kind of restriction.

Also If you work for sky Please listen to my recorded telephone logs as proof of the above. I would gladly provide my infomation if needed. call me sceptic but i wont belive this till i see it.

Lets hope that sky dont brand them selves as beeing liars to promote themselves. buy decivieving the public.

Thank you for Reading
      hate to say it but you get what you pay for and Sky is a consumer service - you'd be better off paying for bandwidth as if something was to go wrong you'd be no better off than someone on the free service with regards to fix times...

and SSL is only used for email - not the connection itself
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Same as above really, remember that Sky isn't a business ISP (UKonline might be a better option). No static IPs as you have now, No webspace, NO SLA etc...

You can view the Sky Broadband T&Cs here: Sky.com - Sky Products;tg&Broadband>Terms and Conditions
      UKonline Unlimited 16Mb/1Mb here: UK Online - Professional Broadband

DJ_Steve is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sunderland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

i also agree its too cheap to be true, id of gone with be broadband, 24mb down and upto 2.5mb up for 22 a month, no usage cap - and i know people who quite often do 700gb+ a month with no problems

smoothop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i wish i could get be unlimeted i dont live in area for them

the other thing that ****** me off is sky told me i should get 16mb.

Rubbish. the router conects at 8160 kbps not 16000 kbps. i live 300 yards from my exchange.

is there a waiting period for 16mb like it gets connected at 8mb then after a week or 2 it goes to 16mb ?

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There should not be a waiting period as far as I am aware. If you post your router stats peopl emay be able to offer more advice.