Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

speedtest.net??

This is a discussion on speedtest.net?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i use speedtest.net alot recently when doing a speed test it used to prompt me to use the maidenhead server ...

uk-guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cambuslang 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

speedtest.net??

i use speedtest.net alot recently when doing a speed test it used to prompt me to use the maidenhead server as the closest server yet when i speedtest today i am prompted to use westnet.ie i have also noticed my ip hasent changed from 90 have sky moved scottish customers on to a different server any information regarding this possible change would be of help there doesent seem to be a change in my connection-ie speed
      Last edited by uk-guy; 06-02-08 at 04:59 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: speedtest.net??

It is more likely the website is wrong. I have been promoted to use the Paris server before !

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It usually recommends Dublin to me! I find it about the slowest within a thousand miles. Paris is usually the quickest, but London was a bit faster today. I think it depends a lot on how many are accessing the server.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

uk-guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cambuslang 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It usually recommends Dublin to me! I find it about the slowest within a thousand miles. Paris is usually the quickest, but London was a bit faster today. I think it depends a lot on how many are accessing the server.
      my point was that it used to show my nearest exchange as maidenhead. the little man on the map was near London now its showing where i really am in Scotland and prompting me to use the Irish server/

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That's what I said, the Irish one is the closest, but I think it may be leaking under the sea somewhere as it is the slowest around. Lately Speedtest has placed me correctly but I have been all over the country with it, from Geordie Land to Cornwall. See where the link 'Who is my ISP' below, places you. At the moment it is spot on for me, but it also has had me all over the place. I think it depends on who had your IP address before you or something like that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.