Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connection problems- -Two networks identified??

This is a discussion on Connection problems- -Two networks identified?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I recently connected to max on 24th Jan and all went well. Sat 2ngd Feb I lost connection to ...

basalt2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01244
      Broadband ISP: BT fibre
      Router: BT business hub 2701HGV
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Connection problems- -Two networks identified??

Hi,
      I recently connected to max on 24th Jan and all went well.
      Sat 2ngd Feb I lost connection to internet but router showed connection fine.
      Contacted tech via phone got to talk to someone finaly on Monday!!
      Went through a long process but finally pinned down to connection showing IVP4 and IVP6. Was advised to uncheck 6. Disable the network and re-enable and I was back on line. However, after shutdown and start up the F%$*~@ pc conects TWO networks!! which I have to disable and re-enable.
      I have vista ultimate which was upgraded from xp. I had two pcs on this once a long time ago but now have only one. How should I have this set up as It seems I need to delete the networks altogether and start again. Any ideas as to what I should do or whats wrong, maybe to do with wireless which I dont connect with?. tia.
      Stuart.
      Stuart

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Connection problems- -Two networks identified??

Running Home Premium, but I think it should be the same. Open the Network and Sharing Centre and click 'Customize'. This will bring up a 'Set Network Locations' pane. At the bottom of this pane click 'Merge or delete Network locations'. Accept UAC and this will bring up another pane which lists the installed Networks. The one you are using will be marked 'in use'. Highlight the one(s) you don't want and click Delete at the bottom. Job done!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi,
      Thanks for your input here. I tried the options mentioned and did not get the ability to "delete or merge" both greyed out!!
      I tried naming both networks as "private" but when I start up again one has changed to "Public"!! Ive watched the process in the network and sharing centre and both of these networks only progress to "local connectivity".
      I still need to disable/ re-enable or repair the "node" to get connection to internet!!
      Stuart.
      Stuart

Thanks

Ultimate may be a bit different. You may need to log on as the Administrator to get full access. I don't even know if you can do that as my experience with Ultimate is nil.

Do you have multiple instances of the adapter installed?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes that "Administrator" thing is a pain. I think I am always down as administrator but will try to search out if its different.
      I only have one adapter on the mb for internet connection but see two other "Blue tooth" ones in Device manager.
      1.Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) This is for a mobile phone- - I think
      2.Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) No idea what that is
      3.Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection
      Stuart

Thanks

Well it seems like the ONLY way I can get to connect is to reduce the speed in the adapter to just 10mbps!! Not sure if that bothers anything else but it works
      Stuart

Thanks

It will not make any difference to normal surfing, but if you have a connection speed greater than 10 bps, you will not get the full advantage.

I think if I were in your position, I would uninstall the network adapter(s) reboot, disable them in the BIOS if they are onboard, remove them if they are plug in. Continue booting into Safe Mode with networking, remove any NIC cards in the Device Manager and delete any network connections in the Network centre.
      Boot once into standard Windows, shut down and reinstall the NICs, if plug in or re-enable in BIOS if onboard, continue booting into Windows allowing the card to be found and installed. If you have trouble connecting, go to the LAN properties and disable IP v6 as you did before. With a bit of luck your extra networks will be gone and your card will run at full speed.

Obviously, if you have a low speed internet connection and you don't want to transfer files to/from another machine, it's not worth the hassle.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Well I tried everything there inc going into bios ( the lan is on the board) but I still seem to have an issue. I am not too keen on having reduced speed to 10mbps .As a matter of interest- I did not get a username or password- -is that correct as I dont see a need to have a network with just this pc. Also I get no option for adding a wireless connection as in the sky set up process. Maybe I am just missing a few brain cells?
      Stuart.
      Stuart

Thanks

The username and Password are needed to set up your email. If you joined MySky before you had Broadband, the Un/Pw for there is the one you use. If you were not a member, the would have been sent in one of your welcome letters.

To set up your Wireless Network, Open the Network and Sharing Centre and click Set up a Network in the Left pane. Follow the instructions from there. Note that this will mean you have 2 networks, one for ethernet and one for WiFi. To avoid conflicts, it may be necessary to disable one of them in the Sharing Centre. To do so, click on Manage Networks in the left Pane, right click the connection you don't want to use and select Disable.

Make sure the drivers for your WiFi are installed before you try to set it up.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Well I have tinkered around some more and managed to get the wifi set up also,though not using at present ( no laptop!).
      The manage network has only one option which is my lan via the router one so cant delete. I seem to have connection to internet if I click on explorer which is not quite how it used work as my sidebar news feed used to operate immediately but it now wont. Maybe I should wait a while though as it updates itself and I haven't given time for that to occur?
      I think this is still a little hit n miss but I can get online
      and I dont have the adapter speed compromised
      Incidentally I did have password/username for mail- - I just thought Sky may have required them to log on with. Used to have that with Plusnet some time ago. Anyway, my appreciations for your time- -
      Regards.
      Stuart.
      Stuart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast