Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Sky Block rapidshare.com?

This is a discussion on Sky Block rapidshare.com? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme If you are looking for illegal files, I don't think Sky, or any other ISP, will ...

hhobba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Block rapidshare.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are looking for illegal files, I don't think Sky, or any other ISP, will be interested in your complaint.
      What kind of files users are downloading is totally irrelevant to the issue. I won't attempt to defend my own use of Rapidshare - I'll support downloaders either way - but copyrighted content or not, Rapidshare's an incredibly valuable tool and does, despite the obvious nefarious aspects, have great legal uses. For Sky, or any other ISP, to refuse to help because of a legitimate site's reputation would be the epitome of bad service.

I once talked to an AOL customer service rep about their new usage limits, and he asked "Do you really need to download so much?" I was really quite disgusted by his rudeness... it's this kind of attitude that hinders broadband development, and shows you just how much companies care about their "unlimited broadband" claims.

Besides, all those issues aside, these errors are happening regularly, and judging from the forum search results, have been happening for a long time now (2007 at least). It may not be intentional, but whatever it is, it needs a fix, at least Sky could make sure that they don't just shove a basic "Internal Server Error 500" page up - that's totally unacceptable, as it places the blame on Rapidshare.com's servers and not Sky themselves. Poor show.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

at least Sky could make sure that they don't just shove a basic "Internal Server Error 500" page up - that's totally unacceptable,
      afaik and my understanding of error 500, is that the server of the website is actually showing that and not Sky forcing it to show or infact a generic browser page based on what the webserver has responded to your request.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 07-06-08 at 05:40 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      afaik and my understanding of error 500, is that the server of the website is actually showing that and not Sky forcing it to show or infact a generic browser page based on what the webserver has responded to your request.
      Yes, Normally a error 500 would be related to the site, but people who get this error on their sky connection and change to another internet connection find that the site is working fine.
      Also rapidshare's site rarely goes down, and if it does, it goes back in a big way and they tell everyone about it going down, they have financial interest, the amount of times you might get error 500's from the site, it would be bankrupt.

Although an error 500 is a browser error page, it is in some way triggered by sky. So its definatly Sky. A long term fault is very unlikely, and if there was I think sky would have fixed it in 10 months, I am sure I would have caused more then a few faults.

So please stop trying to come up with way to defend sky, because its IS simply managing their network. Its not sly tactics or nothing, they state it in the terms and conditions and you would have accepted them with your contract.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

it is in some way triggered by sky. So its definatly Sky.
      I seriously cannot believe that Sky could trigger an error 500, its a server response, not an ISP response. Unless of course you can demonstrate to me.

change to another internet connection find that the site is working fine.
      So therefore could be a routing issue?

So please stop trying to come up with way to defend sky
      That's just absurd, I am in no way trying to defend Sky, it seriously makes no difference to me as I don't use Rapidshare, I am just totally amazed that people can say that Sky are somehow intercepting the data and showing an error 500 page.

However I am open to correction / proving wrong.

Edit:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102...sageID=2631748

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=678852

So I presume Sky are blocking all those people who are complaining about it as well?
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 08-06-08 at 04:02 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Ok, if someone on here could post to me the next time that rapidshare is blocked for sky users, I will gladly prove to people that this problem is confided to sky users.

I am not sure exactly what triggers sky to block rapidshare, but It's probably some sort of traffic management, so if lots of people could be downloading from rapidshare around 12-3pm today then they might block it, and let me collect the evidence that people need.
      Last edited by richone54; 09-06-08 at 10:54 AM. Reason: removed quote as its above post

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sounds more like a server load issue in the easynet network and/or the amount of connections that easynet have pointing towards the network that rapidshare is on, rather than traffic management like BT and Virgin do.

People on Virgin seen a similar problem when they play World of Warcraft and that is down to problems with the virgin/telia network connection (ie there is not enough of them)

If there is only 1 server in the network dropping a large amount of packets that suggests that the server is overloaded or is broken and getting a dodgy server repaired is a nightmare.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Either way, the problem is with sky rather with rapidshare itself.

m600ant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01606
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The 500 error page is definately not coming from rapidshare, I can prove that it is being dished out by SKY and the method they are using is either DNS cache poisoning or DNS redirection. Basically instead of DNS resolving the correct IP address for rapidshare on port 80 the error page is being intermitantly dished out by either changing the cached webpage (if they use caching), or just simply redirecting the DNS resolution to a different IP with a web server. You can always resolve the correct rapidshare site on a ping as they only redirect port 80 traffic. The fact still remains that SKY are blocking rapidshare and making it look like it is rapidshares fault. Maybe I should contact rapidshare and see what they make of it !!

I don't know whether this is a coinsidence or not, but has anyone had the problem in the last 3 or 4 weeks since I made my first post about the issue ? Mine has been working fine !!!!

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m600ant View Post
      . Maybe I should contact rapidshare and see what they make of it !!
      Let us know what they say

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

ive not had one single issue regarding rapidshare - connects evertime, so unless its certain IP ranges then it can't be Sky...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast